Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.0 remote agents backwards compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANKIN

MIS
Mar 6, 2003
US
HI!

We have just installed BE 9.0 on a NT 4.0 server, whilst our other servers are still running BE 8.6. Currently remote workstations are using remote agents 8.6.

This is giving us a problem with the server running BE 9.0 as the older remote agents are incompatible with the new version of BE.

My question is this: If I install the new 9.0 agents, are they backwards compatible with BE version 8.6 so that our existing backups will still run ok?

(Yes if possible we want to backup data from a single workstation onto two servers running 8.6 and 9.0 respectively)

Many thanks in advance, Rankin.

The 9.x agent is not backwards compatible. They are quite different in operation and the port they connect on is different also.

Rankin,

I was curious about the remote agent software. Does it allow you to backup Windows 2000 workstation computers? I have one workstation that I wanted to backup through the network and it doesn't seem to allow me to select this computer in the file(s) selection of the Backup Exec 8.0 job that I have running on the Windows 2000 server. I tried installing the remote agent but will that only work for remote servers?

Thanks,
Tom

You can use a remote agent for Backup Exec 9.0 on a workstation. I use it to back up a couple of client workstations that are mission critical. Backup Exec 8.x would let you do backups without a remote agent but 9 requires it.

The easiest way to install the remote agent is to drill down into the WINNT\INSTALL\RANT32 directory and run the file SETUPAA.CMD. This does a silent, no-questions-asked install. You can verify that it worked by looking at the file C:\WINNT\BKUPINST.LOG.

Dave Farquhar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back