Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.0 "The backup of the item is bad" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharkol1

MIS
Mar 4, 2003
US
Any Ideas? There is no errors, just a few exceptions??

Job ended: Thursday, March 20, 2003 at 9:16:40 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000fe2d HEX
Final error description: The backup of the item is bad.

Final error category: Resource Errors

Thanks,
Bryan

Got the same message. I basiclly know, that one user has a mailbox on Exchange 5.5, which is bigger than 1GBa nd only this Mialbox is creating problems. One day this guy reduced his mailbox down to 800MB and the Problem was resolved, but was coming up again, when the amount of datas in the mailbox raised again up to 1GB.

Has Anyone found a solid answer for this problem? I have an Exchange 2000 server that wer are running Backupexec 9.0 on and are having the same issue. A few exceptions and the job is marked as Failed.

Thanks,
Peter McDonald

My server is running Windows 2000 server, run an exchange server, and run Backupexec 9.0. I have the exact same problems as stated above, however my quantum tapedrive dismounts as if the backup has completed. But when I actually go to remove the tape an error pops up which says Job Failed: Resource error...could not attach to the media. It seems to hang up while trying to backup logfiles in outlook. When I remove the files from the backup schedual it still gets the resource error anyway

Just a point of note but the 300 meg <ahem> patch for BE v.9 hasn't helped solve this issue. Has anyone any further clues that have proved helpful which they haven't posted yet? Im hearing more and more stories of companys rolling back to version 8.x

Is everyone here running Backup exec on a 2000 box? I installed 2000 Pro on the box that was doing our backups (it previously had NT 4 SP6a) and now I'm getting the error message you are talking about. So I'm wondering if it has something to do with 2000 compatability.

Any Ideas?

Nope!
It happens to me on a NT4 Server,
but anyone thought of the virus scaner?
I'm using Netshield 4.5, with the exchange plugin.
May this be the missing link?

Hmmmmm. I too am using Netshield 4.5. We are using Backup exec on remotes sites (where the problems are) but have had to disable netshield whilst Netbackup runs nightly at our main office. Is Netshield a common thread on here?

I spoke to veritas support about this (after the ususal hour on hold) and they said it was just because files had been skipped and gave me a reg change to overcome it (which just meant the job ended with exceptions and not failed (windows dressing me thinks) look at your logs and determine, was an item skipped or was an item not backed up becasue of a fault. If things are only getting skipped then there is no issur or a minor one and the reg change will make it look pretty. Errors in the log of course need further investigation and to be resolved. technote 193940 on veritas.com tells more. good luck. Also html emails which link out to an external site for their content are a prime source of exchnage mailbox back up errors, for which there is no fix.

I'm also using Netshield 4.5 and Groupshield on the Exchange server, because it is also a fileserver.
Backupexec 9 runs on a server without a virusscanner and the backup runs remotely to.

My client is getting the same error - just started when I setup their Exchange Server last week and imported into their mailboxes from their PST files. The exception log is showing a corrupt mailbox:

Backup - \\servername\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes WARNING: &quot;\\servername\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\User name [username].Top of Information Store.Deleted Items .......... Returned mail: User unknown&quot; is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.

A previous post had mentioned that a single mailbox was causing the error so I'm guessing that my problem will disappear once I fix the corrupt mailbox. I'll post an update - probably Wednesday.

I got all those message you mentioned above.ask Veritas support. Here is the reply:

The error &quot;a000fe2d hex&quot; may occur if a corrupt file is present in one of the mailboxes, the job would fail during an attempt to verify that particular file. You will get errors related to mailbox backup in the job log, for example:

&quot;WARNING: &quot;<MAILBOX>? Top of Information Store? Inbox? <FILE_NAME>&quot; is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.&quot;

If you find similar entries as given above in the job log, then try to open those (corrupted) messages using the outlook client. It should give some sort of error message. If this is the case, then deleting the infected corrupt messages will resolve this issue.

Also, disable antivirus software services before staring the backup.
-------------------------------

Further, it appears that you have selected M: drive (Exchange virtual drive) for backup. It is not recommended to take the backup of M: drive. Please exclude the M: drive from backup job.

Update on July 21 post: Fixed corrupt mailbox which solved problem (no new messages since original import so I just deleted and recreated the mailbox and then reimported the messages from the pst file - minus the corrupt deleted items folder). Ran a successful full backup. FYI - server is running Symantec Antivirus Corporate ver 8.1. My problem wasn't related to antivirus though.

Hi Guys,

I have this problem.. But it is not Exchange related. I get this error when trying to backup the system state of a remote Win2k server.

It is bugging me as there are no errors, or exceptions in the log file..

Yup you've guessed it Veritas said &quot;hmmm. let me see...errr...hmm... Nope sorry sir there is nothing on my screen... is there anything else I can help you with??&quot;

Well as it happens there is!! Give me a sensible answer.I know its a lot to ask of some people, not to read screen prompts all day... But come on, you could have at least pointed me to some resource which would have been useless, or promised to get back to me, but never do!!

Aghh I feel a little better for that rant...

Tony

apologies for ranting

Same error guys. I'm running Exchange 2000, Windows 2000, BE V9.0 and Trend Antivirus. Along with this I also have terrible slowness during the backup. If anyone finds a resoultion to this please post it!

After testing I found that Netshield 4.5 is causing the problem. I got a hold of an Advanced Tech at Veritas. Basically when Veritas opens the Mialbox and Message 1) Yes the attachment is corrupt or cant be open in Outlook 2) When Veritas looks at the email, it opens it, thus its being scanned by AV software and its attachment at the same time. Basically Veritas chokes on it and cant read it or determine what it is and marks it as corrupt. I tested Norton on the same exchange server and still got corrupt errors. Disabling the AV all together resulted in no errors. Turn it back on and started getting the errors. Making the registry change as mentioned above only mask's a potential problem. Mcafee is aware of the problem in Netshield and is pushing everyone to VirusScan now. Couple things to try in your AV software for exchange and on the local file system. Disable outbound scanning and disable scanning when opening attachments.

Hi again, Ive been following this with interest and, after lots of testing, have come up with the following. We were having the corrupt message i.e backup of item, in several sites across Europe referencing several mails. At first I thought it was that the mails had a strange character set but no. I am now certain that any errors of this kind are due to certain types of mail. Every mail that references the error message has one or more attachments that require some form of response before opening! Yes it could be corrupt, but it may also be a prompt needed e.g. passsword protected, or a YES / No required. Interstingly, if more than one attachment is attached, and one is corrupt (or requires prompt)i.e. several are ok, the whole mail WON'T save. On top of this, more obviously, you need to ensure that the account assigned to the BackupExec services had appropriate rights to open the mailboxes. I know we had problems initially in an AD environment. Cheers. If this solves your problem then please vote for it.

Les

Now this one gave me some brain ache too.... (and Veritas Technical Support weren't all that useful either).

It seems that messages with some encoded attachments use a "working directory" as part of the process when Exchange serves them to the remote agent for backup. The exact combination of encodings is obscure, but described at
The working directory is set to the folder where the information store was created. Therefore if you move the database and log files, then delete the folder, the message fails to open properly to be backed up.

Change the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\ParametersSystem\Working Directory to a valid folder and hey presto.

This worked for me and is better than Veritas came up with at which seemed like a bit of a bodge to me. Hope that help you guys too.

Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back