Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 9.0 Exchange Mailbox restore problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richardo

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
GB
Hi,

I have a backup server with BE9.0 SP1 installed, with the remote agent and exchange agent added. I have an Exchange 5.5 email system on the same domain with the BE9 agent installed.

The backups work fine (much better than 8.6), one of the backup jobs backs up all the mailboxes and their contents.

The problem happens when I try and restore a mailbox. For BE7.3 and 8.6 the way to do it was to redirect the 'Top of information store' to an empty mailbox. You should be able to do this in 9.0 too, but I get an 'a000848c HEX' 'Unable to attach to one of the drives.' error.

I am using the same 'logon accounts' which are used to backup the data, but I'm not sure which logon account to use for the 'source' data (the tape.) I've tried all the combinations I could with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem, or knows the solution?

Thanks in advance

Richardo

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

[elf]

Taken from Veritas's Knowledge Base.

Common "Backup" Error Messages in VERITAS Backup Exec 9.0 for Windows Servers

Solution:

Terminology:
Resource - The object being backed up (for example, a share, folder, file, Exchange mailbox, SQL database, and so on)

Final Error Code: a000848c HEX
Final Error Description: "Unable to attach to one of the drives"
Final Error Category: Resource Errors
Error Text in Job Log:
- "Unable to attach to"

Reason 1: The user account specified in Backup Exec to backup/restore the resource does not exist on the resource being backed up/restored
Solution: Verify the user account specified exists on the resource being backed up/restored. Edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab and select Resource Credentials. Verify the user account listed next to the resource exists on the resource being backed up/restored.

Reason 2: The password for the user account specified in Backup Exec to backup/restore the resource is incorrect
Solution: Verify the password for the user account specified is correct. In Backup Exec, edit the backup/restore job on the Job Setup tab, select Resource Credentials and select the "Change" button. Select the "Backup Exec Logon Account" used to backup/restore the resource and select the "Edit" button. Select the "Change password" button and retype in the password for the user account. Make sure the password typed in matches the password for the user account on the resource being backed up/restored.

Reason 3: The resource the backup/restore job is trying to attach to is offline or no longer exists.
Solution: Verify the resource being backed up/restored exists and is online.

Final Error Code: a0008488 HEX
Final Error Description: "Access is denied"
Final Error Category: Security Errors
Error Text in Job Log:
Backup
- "Access denied to directory %directory%
Directory %directory% was not found, or could not be accessed.
None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up."
Restore
- "Access denied to directory %directory.
Error writing security data stream"
- "Access denied to file %directory%\%file.
Error writing security data stream"

Reason: The user account specified in Backup Exec to backup/restore the resource does not have sufficient rights to backup/restore the resource.
Solution: Verify the user name has at least "Read" access to the resource being backed up/restored.

Final Error Code: a000fe09 HEX
Final Error Description: The directory is invalid.
Final Error Category: Resource Errors
Error Text in Job Log:
- "Directory not found. Can not backup directory %directory% and its subdirectories"

Reason: A directory specified in the backup job did not exist at the time of the backup operation.
Solution: Verify the directory exists. If the directory no longer exists, edit the backup job on the Job Setup tab, select Selections, select "Text" from "View Format" and remove the directory from the Selection List.

Hi Marverick,

I found that knowledge base article too. It just goes on about rights, but if the logon accounts which I use to backup the file systems and exchange mailboxes have rights then they must have rights to restore too.

I can restore file system data with no problems. But when I try and restore mailbox data I get this error. I am using the same 'mailbox logon account' which backs the mailbox data up.

There could be a possibility that the logon account has read only access to the email system, but there are no settings for this level of permissions configuration.

The other possibility that has crossed my mind is also very unlikely: the logon account doesn't have rights to retrieve the data from the tape. Well, its a pretty stupid idea I know, but I'm quite stuck.

There was another 'helpful' knowledge base article going on about using more 'ports', this didn't work either.

Thanks for the post anyway,

Richardo

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

[elf]

Ricardo,

I am having exactly the same problem here, been through all the same steps you have, same articles read and still no joy. If you find out the fix please let me know!!

Regards

Garry

Richardo

you need to give the send as/receive as permissions to the mailbox, then you should be able to restore to it.

Thanks Justin, I don't quite understand though, do you mean giving the backupexec logon account specific rights to the mailbox that is to get the restored email (instead of the inherited 'service account admin' right?)

Gary,

I will have a go at Justins suggestion though I have some private doubts. I think that my problem is with the exchange database integrity, one of the two servers halts early when doing a 'consistency adjuster' and crashes out of isinteg alltests on the first test (with a JETERRVersionStoreOutOfMemory error.)

I just hope that the exchange5.5 system will function with an exchange2003 Active Directory Connector attached to it long enough for the user migration. Then it can go to hell.

Thanks for the replies

Richardo

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

[elf]

Had this same problem and just figured it out.

The "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers" service had stopped running on the EXCHANGE server. Once I started this, I was able to restore the mailbox I had been trying to restore.

Hi,
I'm having the same problem, a mailbox was deleted yesterday by accident and now i need to restore. i'm on the phone with veritas right now trying to fix it (only been about 2.5 hours so far!). I'll post if they manage to fix it.

I had this issue on a customer side. Try to do this: Redirect the mailbox, use the "Users Alias Name" as new name. Exchange 5.5 had problem to "find" the right mailbox... I could solve it with this

Good luck!

Had this same problem and just figured it out.

Something to the effect of when restoring or redirecting a restore job to a new mailbox you must first login to that mailbox. I'm not really sure why you need to do this, but I do know it works.

Login in to the mailbox first using the backup exec services account as described here :

cheers

-Danny

-Danny
dan@snoboarder.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back