Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.6 Services will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.

iXPhound

Technical User
Feb 25, 2001
US
Hi all:

I just installed Backup Exec 8.6 on an NT server. When I reboot the machine I get an error that says the service failed. The service that fails is "Backup Exec 8.x Device and Media Service". The error that I get when I try to start the service is "the database specified does not exist". I already worked with Veritas to replace the database it is looking for. They do not seem to be much help. Anyone have any idea? TIA!!!!!!!!!

I have just had the same problem, all the services are set to manual. Starting the top service starts all but 1 of them, then backup exec starts.

I set the first and second to last services to auto, now all services start and backup exec runs without problems. (Sorry, I'm not at the amchine at the moment, so I can't give any more info than that).

I forgot to mention, when it was first installed, it worked fine, just became a problem after the system was re-booted.

I have the same problem like IPXHound and can;t seem to solve it. Did you (IPXHound) solve the problem? And if so what did you have to do?

Thanks for your help.

You should use the same account (not administrator) to login to the OS and Be.
If needed create the account and go into services and make sure all the BE services are set to use that account logging in automatically.
Re-enter the account name and password again even if you think it is correct. Reboot.

If things still don't work do a uninstall of progam files only at the contro panel and reinstall using the backup account.

You may be experiencing the same thing I was, but I am on Win2K. When this server was a DC, I had no problem. Running BUExec 8.6 on a member server is where I had the problems. As a DC, when the Backup Exec service account is created, it is granted the "Log on as Service" property, but only on the domain. You may need to grant that account "log on a service" in the local security policy.

I recently setup a w2k server as a DC and installed BE 8.6 on it. I have it set to use the localSystem and that did not change the problem. I have taken out the TMP and TEMP reg keys that it points to on the veritas web site and even replaced the pvl.mdb file with the one from the cd. I have also tried to reinstall the BE 8.6. I am getting the same error as above "Error 1065: The database specified does not exist."

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

It worked fine after it was first installed but now I can't get past this point.

Did you check the ODBC connection string for the PVL in the Veritas registry? HKEY_LOCAL > Software > Veritas > ADAMM Try copy and pasting the path listed there while logged on as the BENT account and putting that in a Run window. Also, since its an Access DB i'd definitely suggest updating or re-applying MDAC from Microsoft's site (

yup, update mdac components should do it
1/ uninstall BE
2/ update mdac to mdac 2.6
3/ reinstall BE with an account you have given the right permissions before you do the install.

this should do it

Bart

When I've checked the shares and permission on our BE-media-server I've asked me why the BENT-share of BackupExec has the permission: "how users access this folder over the network" EVERYONE has access. I didn't know it so I'd delete it.

Today I find out that BE-Servers which are using the the BE-MediaServer needs this access.

If this access is not allowed the BE-services are not startable. The error 1065 "The database specified does not exist" and error 1068 "the dependency service or group failed to start" occurs.

Thanx JAMKEY's article for thinking about this problem in the right way.

Best regards,
Dieter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back