Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.6 reboots my server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

controlman

Vendor
Jul 3, 2002
US
I am running Win2K Small Business Server with BE 8.6 and a Sony TSL-11000 DDS4 autoloader (Dell PowerEdge 2500 server). I have two partitions which are used as network-mapped drives from all the clients. One drive always backs up OK, but the other won't. The backup runs for a while (10 - 15 minutes), and then the server reboots before completing it. I will try to narrow it down a bit this weekend to see if it's specific directories or files, but just thought I'd ask in case someone else had run across this before.

I have resolved my random reboot...

With a little assistance from Microsoft I was able to isolate the problem to corrupted files contained in the "RemoteInstall" folder which is used with RIS (Remote Installation Services).

The correlation between the reboots with NAV and Veritas was that these programs were triggering the reboot by access the corrupted files to either scan for viruses or backup a file. I think the key here has something to do with junction points which digs deeper than I want to go.

I have uninstalled RIS and removed the "RemoteInstall" folder which contained my images. The server is now performing full backups with out a hitch.

Hello everyone!

Has anyone confirmed that RIS is causing this problem besides cgoins? I'd happily remove RIS except I use it! lol This thread has been dead a little while but I was wondering if anyone has gotten anywhere else on this issue.

Thanks for the great information.

Travis

BTW

Openfile Option has been removed.

-Win2000 Advanced SP3
-Dell PowerEdge 2550
-PowerVault SDLT 110T
-Seperate SCSI Host adapter for the tape drive
-Norton Antivirus Corporate (disabled)

Travis

I used to have a server that would crash and reboot (is your server set to automatically reboot on a crash?) during backup. The problem turned out to be bad Mcafee virus definitions (Backup Exec uses Mcafee virus definitions). Try using the update virus definitions function in Backup Exec and see if that takes care of anything.

HI everyone,

Ran into this problem a while back.

Can be one of two things...
are you running on an intel motherboard or similar? Backup exec has problems with the actual intel drivers, IDE/ATA and such. Revert back to the 2000 drivers and the problem may go away. This solved reboot issues on both 2000 server and workstation.

Another one believe it or not is media player 7.1 and above.
If installed, it won't allow BE to recognize the drives.

Good luck :)

I'm running into a similar problem. We lose one of our Dell 2550 Win2k SP 3 servers when BE Ver 8.5 rev 3571 try's to backup up the D: drive it shuts down. The odd part is that for a week or so we took the server out of the regular job and created a separate one for the problem server and didn't experience the problem for a whole week. So we put it back in and it's shut down 2 out of 4 jobs. Has anyone found the root cause, BE update, hardware updgrades etc.? I have a few more ideas from the thread but cannot spend alot of time tracking this one down, it's a production web server.

Thanks,
Todd

Everyone,

Since my posting I have solved my problem. However, I'm not sure if the following explanation will help anybody.

I finally had Dell come out to replace the motherboard. RIGHT after the replacement, one of the hard drives crashed and took out the entire RAID5 array. (I'd like to know how / why that happened) Anyway, I had to do a DR. After I reinstalled windows and moved my data back from tape - I haven't had a crash since.

Please note that I installed a fresh copy of 2000 Advanced. This would have replaced any Intel IDE drivers as "karmic" had mentioned.

Bottom line.....if it's feasible I would try to do an OS reinstall first. I have heard of many people having their motherboard replaced by Dell to fix this issue. (see the Dell Support Forums).

Good Luck Everyone!

Sorry Tbully

We are having the same problems with a few of our dell 2550. It started on one of the servers and we got dell out to swap out the mother board. This seemed to have fixed the problem. 2 months later the problem started up again.

Jonny12

Noooooooo!!!! Oh well, the fun never stops here. Let's see what happens a few weeks down the road.

Thanks for the heads up.

Same Problem, seems like it's been going on forever now.

(2) Dell PE 2550's, Clustered, running w2k adavanced serving Exchange 2000. BOTH servers will randomly reboot w/o a trace other than the event log error, mainly during backups, but I have also seen the server(s) reboot during non backup times. also running Veritas, although I used to use arcserve and NT backup and they were rebooting back then too.

This problem has plagued me for 8 months.

Avanced server, 2 gig ram 1.7 Ghz Supermicro, dual 450w power supply, battery backup- happens on Ver 8.5, 8.6, patched or unpatched,
no Mcafee, have Symantec CE but not thru BK, separate Adaptec channel for tape drive, autoloader and now a Sony DDS3 standalone. Never had a roll over before installing ver 8.5., for over a year

I now start Veritas from a .bat file in "startup", setting all Bkexec services to "manual" not "Auto". The Bat file is located in the \util directory on the Veritas CD or on Veritas site

Part of the problem involves a memory leak in BackupExec.
No other program I ever installed on this server caused a memory leak.

To counter this I run the "Bestop.bat" and "Bestart.bat" (on CD) thru the Windows scheduler once a day. You might be able to "Bestop" the bloody program until just before the scheduled backup and sometime after the backup completes. My server balks with this, so I Bestop and Bestart within 5 minutes. If you have the memory leak, you will notice BK and other programs release memory at this point.
BackupExec is not the only program which leaks while BK drivers are loaded.

Also went into my server BIOS and set all IRQ to auto and set the PCI bus to 32 time slice vs 64.

Two weeks without a roll over at this point. Usually minidumps, or rolls over ever 4 days. Minidumps without roll over mostly.

Have you guys ever tried changing software? I support many different company networks. Changed some of them over to tapeware from yosimite technologies as it wasn't worth the fight and hassle with backup exec. Works great.
There are so many problems with backup exec. I used to be a great problem but it seems support is suffering.

Good luck...

~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

I am running Win NT4 server with Backup Exec 8.6 installed.

I have previously had no problems with this setup and backups have always completed 100%.

Recently the backup job reaches about 2gb and then I get a blue screen and the server reboots. The Event Viewer only informs me that the server rebooted unexpectedly, and backup exec cannot access the job log for the failed job.

I cant see what the blue screen is saying because it doesnt't stay there long enough.

I have apllied all patches and hotfixes from Veritas which haven't changed a thing.

Any help/advice with this would be greatly appreciated because its driving me nuts.

Many thanks to technome!!

I added the bestart/bestop to my scheduler to minimize the amount of time that the backup system is active on the server and it seems to have resolved our issue (knock on wood).

We have Win2K and VBE 9.0 - we weren't really getting the reboots during backup, but instead just at sporadic times, not even necessarily under heavy loads (frequently late at night it would reboot when there was no real load on the network and/or software).
I hadn't looked at the memory usage - but now that it is working with the start/stop scripts, I imagine that was the case for us.

Thanks again!

I've been running a trial version of Arcserve9, no reboots in the last few days. has anyone contacted Veritas on this issue? I wonder what they have to say.....

scratch that last post, rebooted this morning while backing up using Arcserve. Dell has shipped me out complete replacement parts for one of my servers.

To Esmithbda
Same as far as the timing of reboots/minidumps; I can't remember if it ever rebooted during backups. All my reboots/minidumps accured during random times. Luckily, only twice between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Other odd feature of the reboots, they seem to happen when the server is completely idle, 8pm, 9 pm, 3pm , 4pm; at these times the only processes aside from server based services running are scheduling processes for "Diskeeper", "Undelte", very strange. Definely BackupExec is the culprit. Three weeks ago I went as far as removing all the pci board and resetting them along with the power connectors. This BK problem acts like a ram, Cpu or heat problem, which were checked. So far Servers been up 16 days with no problem.

I'm running Backup Exec 9 (latest build) on on Acer server with Windows 2000 SP3.

Server reboots with memory dump, at random points during backup. I have updated drivers and BIOS revions. Next i'm going to install a new SCSI card.

I'll post my progress on this matter.

BTW:The sister server of the one mentioned above has no such problem.

I have fixed my particular Backup Exec reboot / memory dump issues. I ran a chkdsk /r on the drives and bingo! backup now works without issue.

I'm using v9.0 of backup ecxec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back