Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.6 Exchange problem (latest build) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny99

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2001
DK
I have a problem I have been trying to solve all night without any real luck.

I have 2 servers running Exchange 5.5 (SP4) under NT 4.0 (SP6) that I can't backup.

On one I get the error:

Unable to attach to \\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This job has been running for a long time without any real problem, but now it doesn-t work. Or to be correct I got it to work 2 times this night hith the following info:

Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

Media Name: "Media created 6/27/2002 07:00:08 PM"
Backup of "\\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Directory "
Backup set #8 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Magellan - test"
Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Backup started on 6/28/2002 at 3:27:35 AM.

Backup completed on 6/28/2002 at 3:27:42 AM.
Backed up 1 Exchange Server store(s)
Processed 15,745,288 bytes in 7 seconds.
Throughput rate: 128.7 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup of "\\MAGELLAN\Microsoft Exchange Information Store "
Backup set #9 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Magellan - test"
Backup started on 6/28/2002 at 3:27:42 AM.

Backup completed on 6/28/2002 at 3:30:00 AM.
Backed up 1 Exchange Server store(s)
Processed 1,069,580,724 bytes in 2 minutes and 18 seconds.
Throughput rate: 443.5 MB/min
------------------------------------------------------------

I have tried to reinstall the Agent, remove the agent, install it again, running the agent under a different userid and a lot of other things, but nothing seems to help.

On the other server I get this error:

Backup of "\\DAVINCI\Microsoft Exchange Directory "
Backup set #16 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "DaVinci - test"
Backup started on 6/28/2002 at 3:59:28 AM.
The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 6/28/2002 at 3:59:34 AM.
Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)
Processed 0 bytes in 6 seconds.
Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Backup of "\\DAVINCI\Microsoft Exchange Information Store "
Backup set #17 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "DaVinci - test"
Backup started on 6/28/2002 at 3:59:34 AM.
Access denied to directory .
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 6/28/2002 at 3:59:35 AM.
Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)
Processed 0 bytes in 1 second.
Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min
------------------------------------------------------------

This problem started 4 days ago. This server was upgraded from IE 5.0 to IE 6.0 and after that (not that I can see the connection) it seems that the backup stopped to work.

from the backup server I can see that the Agent is the right version at that it is running, but BE keeps on telling that it is not there. (This problem started when we upgraded from 8.5 to 8.6)
I have the licenses I need

I hope someone can help because I have been at work for more then 20 hours now and I don't know what to do.

/johnny

Johnny,

You should check out the veritas support site. I believe they have articles on this type of failure. Sorry I do not have an exact link to the article but I am positive they have articles on this because I have seen this error before and links to the article.

Let me know how you make out.

Zoe

I have checked all I could find, but nothing helps
Latest news is that I can't access the server using Exchange admin from my workstation or the backup server, but it works fine on the server it self and also from another server in the same exchange domain.

The problem with the server called Magellan is solved, but the main problems is DaVinci that holds all the mailboxes.
The backup is NOT a mailbox backup

We are stating to talk about building a new backup server from scratch or even stopping to use BackupExec at all.

/johnny

Thanks for the link.
I have looked at it, but we don't use circular logging.

We start to think that there is something wrong with the way NT is doing access right verification.

Problem is that we have changed all access rights so that basicly "everyone" has "full control" but it doesn't help.

We are starting to think if we should build a new server and move the mailboxes to this server.
PRIV is around 32 GB so it will take some time. Since we run Exchange 24/7/365 and it's high season now we can't bring the server down for more then 15-20 min. at a time and only af 23:00.

We are also thinking about migrating from BackupExec to NetBackup as fast as possible.

/johnny

Hi johnny

Have you got a fix for the The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.

I have just upgraded to veritas 8.6 and have the same problem.

Johnny, this sounds like a NT permissions issue, not BE.

Don't go to Netbackup yet.

Have you changed the IP address, WINS name or FQDN of the mail server?

Have you bounced the Exchange server to try to cure the problem?

make the admin username for backup exec and exchange the same.

No I have not got any fixes to help with the problem.
I think Zelandakh and ceazer are right. It's not a BE problem.
I also can't use exchange administrator from a remote machine.
I have tried to run the BE agent under the same userid as Exchange 5.5 but that didn't help.

/johnny

Check in Veritas website for Tech id 234575. There it will show you how to have BE with the necessary permissions to backup your Exchange server.

The problem with the server called Magellan is solved.
My big problem is with the server called DaVinci.
The problem is not with BE because we also get the same type of problem if I try to use Exchange Administrator from a remote server/workstation.

Our users don't have the problem, and we have installed a BE master that takes the exchange backup to disk on the server and it also works fine.

/johnny

Have you considered opening up a case with MS Tech support now that you can duplicate the problem without using Backup Exec?

I have been thinking about it, but the few times we have asked them for support we realy didn't get any help.

I will have a consultant from Unisys to look into it. If that doesn't help I think we will migrate the users to a new server. We have already wasted too much time on it.

At the moment we do backup using a local installation of BE to disk and then we backup the diskfile to tape.
BE doesn't support movement of backups from one media to another.
Thank God that we soon will stop using BE anyway.

/johnny

Backup Exec service account permissions: If Exch server in same domain as Backup Exec, the Backup Exec service account should be in Domain Admins group AND in the Local Administrators group on the Exchange server either by group membership or explicitly. Next, Exchange Administrator utility has to be able to connect w/Exchange from Backup Exec server. If you apply a service pack to the Exchange server, YOU MUST APPLY SAME SERVICE PACK TO BACKUP EXEC SERVER!! Finally, follow the steps below for config:

A) On Exchange server

1) Create one new Mailbox enabled user ( bkadmin )

2) Add "bkadmin" to Domain Admin & Local Administrator groups

3) Start Exchange Administrator utility and grant bkadmin user permissions on site object (Admin Role)
(Delegate control---Full Administrator)

B ) On Media Server

1) Log on using bkadmin to exchange domain

2) Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service

3) Send Mail to some different user

4) Confirm that Exchange Administrator utility is installed and connecting to exchange server

5) From Exchange server, copy EDBBCLI.DLL file to \winnt\system32 (to the Backup Exec server)

(it is very essential that EDBBCLI.DLL file to be exactly the same version
on both the Exchange server and the BackupExec server)

6) Copy MAPI32.DLL from Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt to Veritas\Backup Exec\ NT

7) Stop all the Backup Exec services

8) Rename the bewinui.uni file to bewinui.old ( Path= Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\DATA )

9) Restart all the backup exec service

10) Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as bkadmin

Also make sure that you are running the most current Build which is Build 3878.
You can download it from here:

I have found that I get this error when the media server or exchange server can't resolve their own name or have a working network connection

I have win2k SBS and I found if the NIC was working, then even though media store was on the same box it failed with the can't attach to target....

I have found that this error can be caused by a non-functioning nic. In my case I was running win2k sbs with veritas the NIC was setup properly and even though the media store was the same server I still got the can't attach to target error.

Make sure the media store and the exchange server can resolve each others names and connect via UNC etc.

Hay guys,

I am having more or less the same problem. So any additional help would be great. I have 1 server running Backup Exec 8.6 which backs up itself and 6 other servers that have Remote Agent installed. All on WindowsNT4

However, 1 of these servers with the Remote Agent is showing the message - Unable to Attach to /Servername/C$ and D$ Access is denied.

I have tried;
- Re-installing the Remote Agent on the server that is failing
- Recreating the backup job
- I have made sure that the account starting the 6 backup exec services on the Backup Server is the same account, password etc. starting the Remote Agent service on each server. This account has all the relevant permissions, is a member of a global group on the domain and is also part of and contains the local admin accounts of each of the servers. Basically the Permissions are covered. No joy.
- I have also tried using the System Account to run the services, and tried a fresh account all together.

None of this has been successfull.
Strangely enough though, the other 5 servers with Remote Agent back up perfectly no matter whether I use the System account, Administrator etc..whatever, they have never had a problem. They are attachable and Backup.

The problem is with this 1 server which was rebuilt 2 weeks ago. Aaah 'Rebuilt'. However, during the rebuild its not as if you can restrict access permisisons without knowing about it. I have gone into User Manager for Domains and made sure the Administrator account/group etc. are just the way it used to be, and also the same as the 5 other servers which successfully get backed up. The directories etc.. all have access for Admin accoutn etc.. (even tried 'Everyone')

The Veritas website goes on about how this problem is resolved by ensuring the correct account starts the services, but as mentioned above, I have been through all this and it still fails intermittently.

The other night I brought forward the nightly backup from 10pm to 6,30pm when I was still in the office. Ran it, and it attached and worked. I then cancelled the job so that it would run at its proper time at 10pm. At 10pm it failed despite the fact it had attached perfectly ok 3.5 hrs earlier. I did not change permissions, services, jobs etc. during this time.
I ran it at 11am this morning -'right-click' Run now. It Failed
Scheduled it for 11.15am - It also failed
Ran it at 11.30am - IT WORKED.

This whole thing is intermittent. Has anyone seen anything like this????
Sorry for the long message but I have tried all Veritas suggested solutions.
Any ideas.
J

We found out that some of the problems we had with exchange was an error in NT/Win2K.

It had to do with 56 vs. 128 cryptation.

We got a HotFix from Microsoft to solve the problem.

/johnny

Thanks Johnny,

I have to admit not knowing a great deal about 56 vs 128 cryptation.

Was the hotfix/solution strictly to do with the fact you had an exchange server in there do you know?

None of my servers are Exchange servers. They are simply a group of servers on the network for a project. One backs-up the other six.
The fact that it failed and then worked within a 30 minute window seems ludicrous but that's what I got. I was beginning to think this has something to do with the Network or something. I can't see how this is the software Veritas Backup Exec's doing.

Cheers.

As I understood it Exchange was not part of the problem.

First of all you never got any errors from Windows that could help you (not that this is new).

You also never got an error from BackupExec that you could use for anything, because some things worked, others didn't.

Normaly when windows talk to another windows they use encryption for some of the trafic (eg. passwords). They should always fall back to a common level, but here is where the problem was.
For some reason the 128 bit windows kept on talking 128 bit and the other one who only supported 56 bit couldn't read anything it got (eg. it saw the password as a wrong password)

We also got the problem in Exchange Admin, like I wanted to connect with Exchange Admin to a server from my workstation. On some Exchange servers it worked, on some it didn't (all all of them was at the same SP level)

It took more then 1 month to find and fix the problem.

I don't remember the hoxfix name, but if you need it I will try to find it. It was for NT 4.0

/johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back