Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.6 backs up only first 50 mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulhung

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
US
A very interesting situation where one night, with no changes to the job, or servers at all, only the first 50 mailboxes were being backed up. The job was even declared a success by BE.

Viewing the job definition, BE only allows me to select the first 50 mailboxes. Deletion of one of those boxes, allows the 51st mailbox (previously invisible), to appear as the 50th.

This is Backup Exec 8.6 installed on Windows 2000 SP2, which is also the Exchange 2000 SP1 server.

Anyone have a clue? I'm at the fourth line Veritas tech, and they have no clue at all. :p

Must I assume the first 50 backedup mailboxes are the first 50 alphabetical mailboxes?
Is it a normal backup?
Is it a FULL, Incremental or a copy?
On the Job Properties, Selections tab, the Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes folder is checked at the root or are you picking certain mailboxes?
What type of compression is being used?
On the hardware side, what type of tapes are you using? what capacity?
Did the Veritas tech checked all this points? sure hope so...

Yes, the first 50 backed up mailboxes are the first 50 mailboxes in alphabetical appearance.

It is a normal full backup.

I have the mailbox store checked at the root (thus all mailboxes visible are checked also).

I am using hardware compression with DLT tapes... plenty of space on there with 20GB Native, 40GB compressed.

It's a total mystery why this is happening. What's even stranger (and fun) about this problem is that if you delete the first mailbox, the 51st mailbox will appear (as the new 50th).

The symptoms seem to point to an obvious solution, though I don't have intimate knowledge of BE's underworkings.

Thanks everyone

Hello,

I have the same problem at my site. the problem seems to be in the active directory.

I installed another exchange server and backup tape and had the same problem there.

Did you found a solution ?

I am in the dark please help if you can.

Thank you

yoram

Yeah, Veritas didn't have a clue. I went all the way to their fourth line tech.

What I did was I had to right click on the BE executable and did a "run as"... I can't remember if it was administrator or the BE account... but that worked like a charm at two of my sites.

Hope that helps.

Hi

The run as trick did not work at my site.

any other ideas ?

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back