Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.6 & NAS device 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

btashjian

IS-IT--Management
Mar 11, 2003
US
I recently purchased an Iomega 300u NAS and set it up on my network. Setting up Backup Exec wasn't a hassle, since it can backup the network shares. Where I'm having a problem is, the weekly full backup isn't reseting the Archive bit on the NAS. So all 4 other days the differential backups are still backing up that same unchanged data. I did read in the manual about a Unix based remote agent. I tried to install it to the NAS, following the directions until I could go no further. What the directions say is to "put" the file via FTP onto the NAS then run it locally on the NAS. I cannot logon locally to this Iomega unit, it doesn't have a keyboard.

Does anyone else has any ideas, I do not know Unix at all, so detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Also I have called the vendor who I purchased the Iomega unit from and they aren't having any luck talking Veritas into letting me get a single incident for free. FYI, I purchased BE 8.6 over a year ago, so it's out of free technical support. Worst case is I pay them (Veritas) to try to figure it out or even call Iomega to see if they have any ideas.

What emulation software do you have running on there ie. what kernal version, I am not a unix guy (just a bill gates man for my sins) ?

In the selections list try creating a IPbased user-defined-selection and see if it will connect and show you the shares on there (just under remote selections)

Dont forget the unix agent is a freebie mate. Backup exec is pretty much used for windows systems and remote novell servers via the NW agent.

if you can get the agent on there, you stand a better chance, it is possible but i lack the necessary knowledge to advise on there

I'm not sure even where to find that information about what Unix kernel is running, maybe the Iomega site will have that info. As for users, I have a Windows NT 4 domain of users and I could recreate them all in the Iomega, it isn't necessary. I can use the shares just fine, it's a file property thing (archive bit) not turning off when Full backup is performed. The Differentials are backing up data that hasn't changed.
I know the Unix agent is a freebie, it's on the Backup Exec 8.6 cd and I followed the manual as far as I could go, til it said to logon locally on the Unix box with it's keyboard; this NAS doesn't have a keyboard or a mouse or a monitor, it's interface is web browser based.
The reason I recommended the purchase was because the vendor had a decent price on it, also I didn't need to buy an expensive remote agent to back up the data to tape.

I just realised, you will not be able to run diff. or increm. jobs, as Unix does not have a archive bit to reset etc.

with 8.6 you can only run fulls.

if you want to be able to run diffs and incr. you will need 9.0 as this can backup the unix file system via the files modified date properties

Cheers
Dog

Today I called Iomega tech support and they told me the Veritas remote agent couldn't be used on this device. He hadn't mentioned about Unix unable to reset Archive bits. What I was told was the Windows OS devices are able to run the remote agents (that you pay for) but in these Unix devices they make a special application that can mirror the data in real time to another server and from there backup the data. Does anyone else see that this defeats the purpose of the NAS entirely? I mean unless you wanted to mirror the data or have a second machine for redundancy of the data and actively use the NAS til a problem occured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back