Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 8.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggrrrchick

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2001
CA
We run NT 4.0 on our servers and I enjoy the remote aspect of this program. I recently tried to install the remote agent on my new workstation which is XP, well, I guess 7.2 and 7.3 do not like Windows 2000 ( not compatible is my error.) What I am wondering if anyone has any encouraging words for me in regards to Backup Exec 8.5? Worth the upgrade?

Thanks all ;)

-Diggz

Same here, I'm upgrading all my backup servers to BE 8.6
It's much more stable and comes with some very interesting new options, such as advanced scheduling. In my book it's one of the better backup solutions out there.

[yinyang] In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

Thanks! Is there somewhere I can read more on Backup exec 8.5/6 to ensure compatibility? I have been to the veritas website and am not finding much. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

-Diggz <):)

What is your issue with what kind of compatibility ?
OS or software wise ?

it works with NT or 2000 and as far as backup file
i use it to backup my progress db, engineering file, cnc, accounting, exchange server, and so on

Well our server is NT 4.0 and a few new workstations are XP.
I tried to install remote on my station ( XP ) and it says it is not compatible with windows 2000 so I assume XP is similiar to 2000? We will have to upgrade soon so I was thinking of 8.5 or 8/6.
Thanks

Diggz

first one question, did the xp join the domain ?
if XP workstation did, then i would call Veritas's support, they are very knowledgable on that

XP is a bit funny on that, i wasn't able to get into hidden shares so far

Yes Hungster, the XP stations all joined the domain. I guess I will call Veritas.
I agree, XP is a bit funny. Takes forever to load my personal settings when logging on and takes forever to log me off every night. I have given my user domain administrative rights because of this even.

Thanks so much.
-Diggz <):)

np, let me know if that fix your problem

good luck

I would agree with the last reply. Skip 8.5 and move on to 8.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back