Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BE 10, EX2k3, can't backup mail boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblewis

MIS
Jun 25, 2003
US
I know there have been other threads about this but I still can't backup the mailboxes.

I could back up the mailboxes until, for purposes of a Hosted Exchange Service, the default Global Address book was removed.

The admin account I'm using has an email box, the box has been initialized, and the address is not hidden from the GAL. To resolve an issue we were having with one client seeing the other clients address lists, Microsoft had us remove the default GAL. The administrator account is in one of the GALs. After the removal of the default GAL we could no longer backup the mailboxes.

We have created another server with a similar situation but removed the default GAL before the Remote Agent was ever installed. Mailbox backups do appear to be working on that server.

I have not tried reinstalling the Remote Agent, does anyone think that might be worth it?

Any other ideas?

Thanks!
JB

look for user ExcAdmin
it is created by defult and may be a good account to use.
check this out:

I belive GAL must exisit in order for backup account to athenticate...it also must be unique. Admin is Not unique if there Administrator...not sure of what is the min. char difference required.
Are you getting any errors when selecting store/mailboxes?

All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Interesting... No execAdmin account. The folks who set up this Exchange server, which I realize now I neglected to mention is in a different forest from the one the media server is in, also made the Exchange server a domain controller. So there is no local admin. I have tried creating a new account, made it a member of a new group, and delegated Exchange Full Admin rights to the group. I have added the group to the ACLs for all the mail stores, being sure it had explicit send-as and receive-as rights allowed. I have made the new user a member of domain admins as well. (I figured that was as close as I was going to get to a local-machine admin in this case)

Still no dice, the only "error" I get is that the "Logon Account Selection" window comes back with the note that:

Logon account "<dom>\buservice" failed to ao access "<server>\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes". Access is denied.

The Exchange-on-a-domain controller issue is going ot be resolved in the near future, but until then, I would like to be able to keep backing up the mailboxes.

JB

hi jblewis,
this def. was a pain...not sure how but my install did create the mentioned account and it had delegated to rights on exchange so I stuck with it.
You can try using "User-Defined Seletions" and add your server based on IP and then see if you can access any share on that exchange box. This will tell you if you have general authenitcation issue or Just the exchange rights issue.
Also, (as pain as it is) after you create and delegate rights to backup user(which can NOT be member of 'backup users') login into Media server as such account(not Admin or what ever else default admin account is) and try.
There is 2 things to keep in mind:
-account used to start/run the exec service on target machine
-account used to gain rights to exchange box.
Here are few sublinks that may help:

All the best!

fugitive.gif

When I connect via IP address, the Exchange resources aren't even listed.. So I guess I'm not sure what that is telling me. Veritas' advice to use the account that Exchange is running as isn't very helpful since it runs as "local system". The administrator AND the buservice account I created are both visible to the global address list. I just tried that no-password thing from teh last of the links you sent, and that didn't make any difference either.. I'm about ready to give up on it.

We're getting the IS, just not the mailboxes.

JB

IP connection...well if u have any simple share on that exchange box (that is not part of exchange) and you can not access it then the account ur using doesnt have correct rights.
'local system' being the account in charge of exchange...it does run exch service and so it should the backup service.
one last place to explore would be under Network->logon accounts.
I have heard of people having to create the backup account to also be a local(machine) admin on the media server which esentially would become your "system logon account" and visible under Network->Logon account

Not sure here but I would go down the list one more time:
1.create an account with membership of:
Administrators,Domain Admins,Domain Users(default),Enterprise Admins, Schema Admins
2.Force the RUS for GAL then Delegate control on Exhange and give the account full rights
3.Make the account local admin on media server
3.deploy remote agents
4. Login into media server as the newly created backup account and test your selections

If all this has failed then I would call BE and ask for help....who knows there maybe something on your network or between your servers...a firewall blocking ports?
Sorry man, these are few things that I can think of when struggeling with this issue...I do remember doing it over and over on one of those tired nights. Step 4 was where I saw it work for the first time.
All the best!

fugitive.gif

The one thing that stands out in that list is the installation /reinstallation of the agent. I have not tried removing the existing agent...

I've been bookmarking the Veritas technotes so that when I do call them, I can say "yep, tried that one" as appropriate.

We have a maintenance window tomorrow night, I think I'll take advantage of it and remove and reinstall the remote agent.

JB

...just curious....any word?
Now that I thought about it more I take back the ExcAdmin account part...I am not sure if this was 'just one of the many' attempts to create a user with admin access to store.
Post some info if you get it going....

All the best!

fugitive.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back