Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDE Error 11265 - I think I messed it up! Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecr

Technical User
Aug 13, 2003
US

Hello,

Background - Installed Goldmine 6 as a single user copy on a local machine.
Built up contacts, sales forcasts etc.

Computer crashed, bought a new mother board and upgraded from Win98 to Win 2000.

Reinstalled GM6 but this time thought maybe it would be use full to use it from my other computers on my home network so I choose share/server installation.

Once installed I restored my back up. Everything worked fine.. checked email, calander, etc.

After closing the program and trying to open it later I got the BDE Error 11265 "Cannot dynamically load IDAIP32.DLL"

From this point on rebooting did not fix the problem. I researched around the net and checked that there is only one copy of BDE and that it points to the right spot. Checked the File size at 7000,6000.5000 and others. Read that the error is related to networking.. then read that I need MS Server to store the files for workstations in a shared enviornment and decided to just go back to single user.

Used the GM "Modify" option from the installer window and tried to take it back to single user without success.

I then Uninstalled the program and moved the left over goldmine directory in an attempt to not have to use my backup file since I had added somethings before learning it would not reopen.

Reinstalled as a single user version. Ran the program, opened it and closed it serveral times, rebooted and it still worked.

I then copied all the original .ini files etc. over the new installation to see if I would be able to access my original data files and set up without restoring the backup. After doing this the BDE error came up again.

Uninstalled GM6, deleted left over goldmine directory.

Reintalled as single user version... restored back up. Everything worked fine... rebooted and it still worked.

As I was in the GM email program I went to user settings and set the email settings to delete mail from server after download. As I clicked to save that change I got a pop up saying "license file could not be found" then the DBE error came up again!!

I'm wondering if because I installed the Server version then went back to single user version if something in my backup (database) is still referrencing a server version perimeter. I now realize that installing one way is SQL and the other is DBASE which fuels my thoughts that since I installed it both ways this may be the issue. NOTE: the database was orignially created as a single user DBASE format file.

Ideally if I could identify the root cause of the BDE error I could make the fix. All I can tell is that the problem is a network related BDE error but I can't find any info on what would cause the BDE error.

System backround: Primary machine that needs to run GM6 is a 1.4GHZ Win2000 Pro OS accessing the internet via linksys router and DSL.

Second machine on the LAN is Win98 and does not have anything to do with goldmine and doesn't require any access to goldmine.

Third is a Laptop at time running win2000 pro. (Eventually it would be very useful to have this laptop running GM and be able to synch at night when I returned from the field. Right now that seems impossible since I do not have a MS server to run GM.

Thanks for any tips... I know I do not understand how goldmine is working or how it should be set up as a networked application... for now I just need my contacts info!!

help!

I'm sorry to admit I may not be following what you've done here, but here is my guess.

Check the GM.ini file before you restore your data files. The reference may be there to point your Idapi32= to another location, causing your error.

More on INI Setting (see GM settings for addl. details):

BDE Info., FYI:

Another thought.... You could just copy the GMBASE and Contact (ie COMMON) directories back to your 'fresh install' restart GM and you most likely would have all of your data.

I hope this helps....Mark

Dave,

Delete the Borland key in your registry and then launch GoldMine. It will probably ask for the IDAPI32.DLL in which browse to it.

Regards,

Richard.
PRIOR Analytics UK

FYI, I have tried the delete BDE reg key.. selected the file from common/borland/shared and immediately got the "cannot dynamically load IDAPI32.DLL" BDE Error 11265.

I also made sure that I only have one copy of BDE installed.

The problem here is some setting related to networking or configuration of the BDE.

I'm going to try the other suggestions now but if anyone else has tackled this and has any other ideas your help would be appreciated! Thanks all.

Steve

Thank you GoldMark!

Apparently everytime I would "restore" my database files it overwrote the GM.ini with the network installation settings. These network settings pointed to /Documents and Settings/ALL USERS/Goldmine which is not the home directory for the files in a single user installation. Which explains why BDE was giving a network error code because the directory GM.ini was pointing to a directory that did not exist.

Thank you for the link to GM.ini at frontrange!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back