Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDC to W2K Server ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

st38

MIS
Mar 9, 2002
US
Can you go from a BDC to W2K Server AD? If possible would like to do a fresh install. Ultimately want to install Exchange 2000 Server.

There are no BDC's or PDC's with W2K. A server is either a DC or a member server (disregarding FSMO roles).

Just dcpromo the member server to start the process for AD creation.

Original setup was NT4 Server with Server1 (PDC) and Server2 (BDC). Server1 was migrated to W2K. Server2 is in a different location and I'm currently trying to determine the best route in installing W2K. There is a T1 connection between the 2 offices. I would like to have Server2 also be a domain controller with global catalog as a backup.

Well, it's always best if you can do a clean install of an OS, especially on a server. But, if you do that, what are the consequences for your users at the remote site? You have to consider that.

If the remote server is going to handle logins and is a child of your local server, then I'd definately make both a GC in case your connection between the two sites is interupted.

That is what I hope my end result is - any recommendation on what is the best way to proceed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back