Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BDC problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fran999

MIS
Apr 13, 2001
US
My problem is the following:

The servers NTSERV1 and NTBDC1 both claim to be an NT Domain Controller for the xxx.COM domain. One of the servers should be removed from the domain because the servers have different security identifiers (SID).

This is error code 5511, I am also coming up with error codes 5716 and 5731.

My question is can this BDC be saved as a BDC or will I have to take it off the domain as a BDC and bring it back as a standalone server? How it got to be this way, is that someone (prior to my arrival) accidentally tried to syncronize it with the PDC but hit the promote option instead. I would like to remove it from the network and then bring it backup as a BDC.

IS this possible? Without tearing my hair out.....any assistance will be appreciated

It appears that your BDC has been reinstalled as PDC for the same domain xxx.com with same computername i.e. NTBDC1. This can be the only reason you are getting the error message stating servers have different SIDs.

It cannot be a synchronization excercise which results in an error message like this. Now all you have to do is to reinstall the NTBDC1 as BDC for the domain. That's the only way out if you want to have it as a BDC.

Hope this helps. Can elaborate more if you say so.

Mubashir

So if I remove this from the domain and then reboot I shold be able to bring this up again as a BDC for XXX.com domain

Shut down your BDC.
Shut down and restart your PDC.
After the PDC is up, start up the BDC.

I've that problem before and the about seems to fix it.

Kjonnnnn, I tried what you suggested but I'm still getting the error message. I think I'm going to have to remove it from the domain first, then reboot it from a cold start to flush the memory and then reboot it again and then try to add it back into the network as a BDC. I'm just not sure that this will work either that is why I am asking for opinions from people in the know....fran999.....One other thing happened when I did the restart on the PDC, I lost the share of the Winnt folder on the PDC...no big problem I just reshared it to ADMIN$.... but that shouldn't happen either, should it? Other then these couple of foibles, every other workstation is loogin on and seeing the network all hunky dory.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back