Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bcmsvu re-install problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fil977

Technical User
Jul 24, 2001
EU
have tried to re-install bcmsvu server/client software on to PC. when trying to add new server error message appears that says (cant remember exactly) "omninames.exe not running. restart omninames and try again". when you click cancel all bcmsvu software closes.

Any ideas how I can restart omninames.exe and what omninames does?

Here is a possible solution

Omninames Fails on Fresh Install Under Windows NT Service Pack 4

This problem can occur with fresh installs under Service Pack 4. The symptom is that the Server starts but
complains that Omninames cannot be found. No clients can connect, and Omninames does not appear in the list of
running processes.

Run a command shell, and enter the command “echo %OMNINAMES_LOGDIR%”.
Normally, this should return something like “C:\Program Files\Lucent\BCMS Vu\Common” (depending on where the installation is).
If this
problem is occurring, you will probably see “%OMNINAMES_LOGDIR%” returned.

To fix the problem, go to the control panel. Choose the System Control Panel, and click on the Environment tab.
Go to the “System Variables” list box, and find the variable called OMNINAMES_LOGDIR. Click on it, so that it
appears in the edit boxes at the bottom. Click the Set button. Now start a new command shell, and enter the
command “echo %OMNINAMES_LOGDIR%” again. It should now work properly – restart the Server.

NB: If there is no OMNINAMES_LOGDIR variable in the System control panel, you will need to add one. It
should point to the “Common” directory in your installation.

This problem is caused by NT4’s handling of environment variables – we do not know how an environment
variable can appear in the appropriate control panel and not be active, nor what changes are caused by the Set
button.
phone9ani.gif

Please let me know if the information that was provided is helpfull.
Edwin Plat
A.K.A. Europe

I,ve had this problem before. There was an obscure error message number ( one that wasn't in the manual ) and the text cannot start omninames. Check to see if dial-up networking is installed.
Although it doesn't access a modem when you have the client and server on the same machine it is still required to allow the 'connection'.

Let me know how you get on.

D.

I had a similar problem when installing BCMS server and it was caused by networking problems. When installing BCMS server the internal network of the PC must be working. I spoke to Avaya and they suggested that a good indication that the internal network is working is that the PC's NETBIOS name appears in network neighbourhood.

I hope this is useful.

Stu

Sorry to take a while to get back to everyone.

europe- tried what you have suggested and it all apears where it should be but still no joy. Thanks anyway given me some background info on this file.

dialtoneuk/stupot2k- haven't tried any of this as yet because I have discovered another problem which I will also post another question for.

Problem is that I cannot connect across my DCS network using the data module to this particular netcon number where the bcms/switch is. I think there is a problem at the switch end because I get busy tone locally for the netcon number which I think I shouldn't be getting( thought if I was on site and rang netcon number it should ring and give me a tone back?)

Any ideas?

Is the a G3si?
Are the netcons part of a hunt group?
If so try the hunt number. If you still get busy, you might want to wait till a quite time to busy/release the ports.
I've only had one occation when netcon ports locked-up and I had to reset the switch too get them back, not something you want to do normally.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back