Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM's Good or Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGComm

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
I know of two BCM's that were installed only to be later replaced with MICS's. I was told that there were to many problems, to many bugs. My wholesaler won't even deal with them. Dose anyone have experience, I see that there are not many tek-tips threads concerning BCM's.

CG,
I have heard that before Rls 2.5 there were too many bugs but that 2.5 is a way better platform. This is only third party info however.

PhM

Ive had good luck installing them. Yes 2.5 is way better as far as communicating with the system. 3.0 is coming out, though I havent messed with it. The only problem I have with them is the port capacity, you can only have up to six modules on it. Kevin Clear
Clearfield Comm.

Although I haven't messed with a BCM in a while, my understanding is the latest release addresses many of the bugs in the earlier versions. I hope this is helpful.

We have and still refuse to sell them untill they are deemed "Good enough" lol.

BCM is not popular yet due to the bugs but they do say 3.0 will be pretty good.

As for the port capacity you should know that they now have double density station bays...meaning 32 stations instead of 16.
spoclogo2.jpg

I have 3 bcm units installed with call pilot vm although not being used in voip format they work well, no problems as of yet 2.0 and 2.5 versions

I find the BCM very stable when properly configured. Release 3.0 is out but (Warning!) it has a serious bug with call center applications. The reports are hosed. Expect a patch within a month. Do not buy 3.0 at this time without a guarantee of free patches and or upgrades.
Tom Maher

I guess I should have used the term busses instead of modules. The 32 port station card is nice as far as not tying up slots on the BCM but it still uses two busses. Kevin Clear
Clearfield Comm.

the double density 32DSM (station card) only uses one bus on the BCM 200/400 which is the hardware platform that 3.0 is shipped on. the BCM 1000, systems that were shipped pre-3.0, still require 2 busses for the 32DSM.
In fact, the BCM 3.0 has received various awards from Mier Communications, Internet Telephony, Communications Solutions, as well as being awarded Best-in-Test by BCR (Business Communications Review)

We've got a BCM 2.5 at one location, and they've been very satisfied with it. Running a BCM 3.0 w/ mix of M-series and i2004 phones as a test in my office before sending out to a different remote office... so far, VERY good!

Thanks for the input. I sold the MICS 5.0 S/W w/ NAM II Fiber and 2 DID's I still like 5.0 over 6.0 S/W to date. The only advantage with the BCM is voice over IP and sometimes I think it's sold for the benefit of the seller rather than the buyer. My customer is very happy with the MICS and likes the fact the they can program it with very little help from me, yes I teach my customer how to program as much as they want to learn. Lots of bells and whistles is not always a good thing. Thanks again.

Guy

So far installed 3 BCM's with M1 as hub.Quite a few VOIP problems with V2.5, including no ringback, DTMF tones over link (to access callpilot on M1). Addressing problems with gateways, some routing problems. Telco provider solved some of these problems with version 3.0.
Problems with limiting access of users once BCM is on the network and password is known. How much access does the administrator need.
I think some of the problems may be lack of knowledge on the part of the provider. It is not good to be a guinea pig.
If it was my choice I would have waited for someone else to test the latest stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back