Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50e remote management

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadflies

MIS
Jan 25, 2005
US
I am new to the bcm50 and am in need of help setting up remote management. I would like to access it through our corprate LAN and have connected it to the WAN port to seperate it from the office LAN. I am unable to access the BCM through the WAN port and am wondering if I should just connect the OAM port to the corprate LAN for management? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

It is a BCM50e. I am able to reach the router, but the element manager does not find the BCM when it searches that IP. I have set all the remote for LAN & WAN and I have turned off the firewall just to test to see if that was a problem, but have hade no success with that either. Any suggestions?

Wow, I am not having any success with accessing the BCM Element Manager via the WAN connection. I don't have any problems connecting to either the router or EM using the LAN side. I don't normally use the BCM50e, is there some type of forwarding that needs to be programmed on the router?

I am pretty sure you cannot use the WAN port for management. "just connect the OAM port to the corprate LAN for management" sounds good to me.

The WAN port can't be used for management - only for firewall/VPN applications. Nortel has all management traffic blocked internally in case someone turns off the firewall and has an public IP on that interface. That being said, you could probably build NAT rules in the firewall to allow management to the LAN IP of the BCM.

Thanks, I had wondered about that. In searching the documentation I could only find statements about remote management using LAN & WAN and nothing I found said it was blocked on WAN. Have either of you successfully changed the OAM port IP to use it over a LAN? I was thinking about trying that monday...

I've changed the OAM IP when the default (10.10.11.X) conflicts with the customers network.

Only problem is you can't disable the DHCP server on the OAM port - that can cause problems.

OK, got this router to forward the needed traffic from the WAN to LAN. Thanks to my contacts at pandetix, I have set up forwarding so that we can monitor (my main interest in this question in the first place) and manage the BCM50e from the WWW.

From the MAIN MENU:
1. WAN/WAN IP page - check "Allow between WAN and LAN" and "Network Address Translation" - set for SUA only
2. Firewall page - uncheck "Enable Firewall"
3. SUA/NAT page
Add the following entries and check "active":
Name Start Port End Port Server IP Address
CIM 5989 5989 192.168.1.2
HTTPS 443 443 192.168.1.2

Yes, the firewall is not active and additional steps will be needed to take care of that. Somebody else, hopefully, can contribute that!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back