Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 Voice mail questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguyjr

Vendor
Mar 25, 2006
US
I have recently had to take over programming several nortel systems because the company that used to work on them got out of the telephone system business. I am normally working on Avaya Partner systems or NEC DSX systems and have not had any training on the Nortel systems. I have managed to work my way through changes on the BCM50's after some hands-on with older nortel systems.

One of the issues I have had when programming the voicemail is that when I make changes, sometimes the lines will stop ringing at extensions and immediately get answered by the auto attendant. The only way that I have found to get the lines to start ringing at the phones again before going to voicemail is by restarting the system and waiting the 10-15 minutes to reboot. This does not seem like its supposed to work that way. What am i missing?

Is there a guide somewhere that has information easy to follow on how to program the auto attendant on a BCM? Maybe a guide that will help me better explain it to our customer so he can change it again on his own at some point?

I have a customer with 3 locations that is needing me to reprogram the auto attendant at all of them and I would like to be able to program without having to shut off the phones for some time.

Thank you for your time.

The best thing you can do for the client is get a BCM tech involved with the customer, sub it out at least.
The client should have admin training by a fully trained CSR or BCM tech.

All docs for users, admins and techs are on the BCM itself.

Who knows what you are missing since you have not mentioned what you did and where in programming you did it.
Whatever it is it's just wrong and exactly why we tell clients to not mess with it if they have not had the training.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

The problem is that the Telco used to install these systems, then they decided they will no longer work on systems at all. The closest Nortel tech is about 4 hours away. If we got a national company to service it, they would probably still end up calling us to show up on site as their hands and eyes since we are so remote.

Once again, My main question/concern is, Is there something that I might have accidentally programmed or not programmed that would make the voice mail start answering all calls immediately and after a reboot on the phone system, WITHOUT doing any other programming, it starts ringing on phones again.

It could be a service mode button active on the reception phone
It could also be on a timer.

Usually press feature 982 and enter the operator password
There you can set the line answer to off so as AA does not answer .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back