Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 - problem with IP phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

parry5

Technical User
Jun 3, 2005
US
We have a new install where the customer has 2 i2002 phones in remote locations (VPN tunnels built to connect to the network). When one IP phone calls the other, the call rings through, but no voice is transmitted. Both i2002 users can call the office and all extensions... just not each other!

Any suggestions?

Post more information about the setup of the remote offices. Are they using a Contivity box? If not, how are the remote phones tunneling into the BCM-50?

If it's VPN, make sure that the remote networks are able to communicate with each other. In the Contivity world, you'd need to set your local networks and remote accessible networks on each device, and then turn on "enable branch office to branch office communications" on the "hub" system.

I would say at a guess you are not using a Nortel Box may be some other box like linksys or someother manufacture. If this is the case you will need a tunnel from the remote sites to the head office. Then from remote site to remote site.

Remote A----------------------Remote B
\ /
\ /
\-------Head Office------/

I am currently having this issue now. We have a BCM50 and am using DLink VPN routers to connect the IP2004 phones to the national office. So far, I have configured only 2 out of the 11 that I ultimately want to connect. Will I have to configure each of the DLink routers with 11 tunnels?

You need to be able to connect to each subnet, we use Vigor2600 Plus routers as they do QOS (for the voice) and use the RIP features, this means that each remote subnet can ping each other remote subnet and can therefore speak to each other.
If you have vpn's setup and dont want to use RIP you can do it with static routes.

Sounds to me like a gateway issue. In a nutshell:

Since the IP phones use the BCM for call signalling, they have no problem setting up a call to each other because the BCM knows how to find each of the sets. Once the signalling is complete, the IP sets talk point to point. Problem is, if the Dlink routers don't know how to find each other's internal subnets, the point to point audio stream is getting lost.

The fix:

You need to enable tunnel to tunnel traffic on your head office router so that traffic from one branch can find the other branch. You also should put a route into each branch gateway that points to the head office router's IP for each branch subnet.

I think that should do it....somebody please wake me up if I've missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back