Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 Phones Not Ringing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkView

Technical User
May 26, 2005
US
I have a location where I have now put in a 2nd BCM50 because sometimes the T series phones just do not ring. It is still happening, even with the new BCM50 installed. I have witnessed this myself. The calling party hears ringing but the phones do not ring. Rebooting the BCM50 seems to make the problem go away. I do not normally measure voltage at the DMARC but in this case I did because I am running out of ideas on what is causing this problem. Two of the lines are correct (-48VDC) and two of them are backwards (+48VDC). Has anybody seen this phones not ringing issue? Does anyone think the incorrect DMARC voltage could cause something like this to happen? I am running out of ideas so any thoughts/comments are welcome.

The country profile is correct (North America).
The unit has four centrex lines going into the main unit (no expansion at all) on pairs 1-4 of the RJ21 connector.
It does appear to be only external calls, on these four lines, where the issue shows up.
All of the VoIP stuff works fine.
The first unit was a BCM50 version g patched.
The second unit is a BCM50 version j with no patches.
I have 5 other BCM50s (patched g's and nonpatched j's) at different locations that seem to be working fine.
We configure all of our BCM50s from the same saved configuration and then just modify the DN numbers etc. to make them correct for each site.

I have now installed all three of the patches (081, 083, & 039) on all 7 of my BCM50s. I have been verifying that line 4 on all of them is ringing correctly every day. This is definitely the longest I have gone without having the problem.

Check the ring voltage, 48 volts is not the voltage you should have when a phone rings. Since it is a ringing issue only, verify you are getting correct voltage from the co.
Have someone call in and measure the voltage, it should be somewhere in the 90v to 108v range.

Do you have Tip and Ring reversed on 2 of them with the wrong voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back