Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 not pulling time from NTP server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukane123

Technical User
Feb 12, 2020
CA
I am trying to get the BCM50 I manage to sync system time to an NTP server. I entered the following settings in BEM:

NTP server address: time.nrc.ca
Synch every (s): 16384
NTP security mode: Unsecured
Raise alarm if clock differs by at least (s): 30
NTP key ID: 0
NTP key string: (blank)

The system clock synced successfully as soon as I saved these settings, but over the following days, it began to lose the 2-3 seconds per day that were being lost when I used to set the clock manually. I tried changing the sync interval to 8192 seconds, and after the initial successful sync, the BCM has started to lose time again.

Is there something that needs to be done in addition to entering server settings and setting the time source to NTP in BEM in order to get NTP to work (ex. does port 123 need to be open)?

Thanks,
Matteo

Yo M

For others... it's BCM50 R6 fully patched

No ports required.

I'm at 8192 sec using time.windows.com, maybe try that for a little while.
time.nist.gov is another.

Do some daily checks using the Ping Utility to make sure it's in touch with the world.

A reboot maybe too every so often, you can schedule those...mine is once a month 3am.

Otherwise try "Trunk" as the source if all else fails.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Is your BCM connected onto a Network whereby the customer uses their own NTP server?. I would check this with a computer on site and try to use the same settings.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

I have set the BCM to CC's settings of time.windows.com and 8192 seconds. The initial sync worked so I am leaving it for the weekend and I'll see what happens next week.

I went into the Ping Utility and tried pinging time.windows.com and time.nist.gov. A few pings returned successfully but I mostly got an error of "Extrinsic method could not be executed (Failed to execute the /bin/ping -c 3 time.windows.command)".

Firebird, I haven't come across an on-site NTP server in the time I've managed this network but I will try looking for one when I am on site next time.

I'll also see if I can get to doing a reboot to see if that takes care of it.

I will keep you posted.
Matteo

System time has been synchronising successfully to time.windows.com every 8192 s since last Friday, so I'm not sure what was causing the sync problem. It could have been the NRC NTP server I was trying to use before.

I've also been doing daily pings to Google and have had no issues. I am going to leave the BCM on the above NTP settings going forward.

As a side note, I saw no sign of an on-site NTP server on the LAN.

Thank you all for your assistance.
Matteo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back