Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 home worker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberX666

Technical User
May 22, 2006
SE
Hi, im looking to setup a BCM50 that supports home workers.

How do you setup the remote end? Im looking at hardphones I200x and I2050 softphones. I have looked through the docs but i could not find anything on the remote setup of the hard phones.

Any help would be great.

You would need a hardware based VPN for the "hard phones" to work. A 2050 user could use a VPN client to connect to the network and launch their phone.

To use an i200x hardphone you have to have a Contivity VPN switch at the home end and you can use a VPN tunnel from the BCM50. The BCM50 Rls.1 does not support VPN client. To use an i2050 phone you would have to have a Contivity switch at the BCM50 end and then you could use VPN client at the home end.

Many thanks for your help. Im setting this up in my lab at the moment.

One of the reps that I know works out of his house using a laptop. Through his wireless, he connects his VPN client and plugs his phone into the ethernet jack on his laptop. Just another option to look into... Good luck

Gadflies,

Your post is interesting. Can you confirm that the user you describe does not have any hardware VPN in place at his location? When we were initially setting this up, the phone would not connect over just the software VPN. Is he using a Windows VPN or something more specialized?

Keep in mind guys that DigitelD's post is critical. The BCM50e (which is the model you will need to support VPN terminations)only support branch office tunnels, so although the idea of using a client launched VPN tunnel is nice, its not possible yet with the BCM50e.
The only way to allow this to set up an external VPN router/concentrator in front of the Ethernet side of the BCM50, and then VPN client in to it. A Contivity 1010 for example can be used for such a purpose, or the brand new Nortel 222 router which is half the price.
These are some ideas to kick around.

I like using cisco 837 you can use hardware VPN`s between then and allso run windows VPN to them, for around £300. per unit its a good price for the reliability..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back