Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 GATM8 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragon

Instructor
Apr 22, 2003
CA
Client has installed a BCM50 but cannot get GATM8 to work in expansion module.
Cabling is OK.
Keycode has been entered for expansion port.
Keycode for 4 analog trunks in main cabinet has not been entered.
I assume BCM50 will not allow the GATM8 to work unless analog trunk keycodes for main cabinet have been entered into BCM50 first.
Can anyone confirm?

You don't need to enable the trunks on the main cabinet to use the resources from an expansion module. You do need to enable the module though. One of the things that always get us is that we put it in, hit enable and the unit keeps saying "enabling" until you actually connect a line to it. Then it changes to "enabled".

Make sure under resources you tell the system the module is a trunk not a station.

Have you left the dip switches all in the default/on position? The bus is assigned to the expansion unit itself, not the card.

Dip switches are OK.
Module is configured in Element Manager as GATM8
Module is enabled
I was doing tech support over the phone so I'm not sure if line was physically connected but lines 65-68 did not appear in line list in software.
Confirmed cabling was correct to module
Green lights on module
Reseated module
Only thing I could think of is that BCM50 will not allow trunk module in expansion cabinet if keycode for main cabinet lines was not entered. This seems to make sense.
inet2xtreme are you %100 positive I do not need keycode for main cabinet lines before connecting an expansion trunk module?

thanks inet2extreme
You answered my question and I had a second source confirm that the keycode is not required on the main cabinet.

I have installed a GATM8 into a expansion chassis of a BCM50. When I went to activate the module it seemed as if the BCM50 recognizes the single GATM8 as two separate GATM4 modules, so you have to activate BUS4.1 and BUS4.2 (BUS 4 is just an example, the BCM50 will figure out the BUS by itself).

I can't offer any assitance if whether or not the first 4 analog lines require their keycode activated to allow the expansion's GATM8 to be allowed to be activated. But my question, the keycode for the native 4 analog lines comes with the BCM50, why wouldn't you want to install the authorization code for those first 4 lines?

my installer ran into the same problem soloeagle.
He had to configure as 2 GATM4. BCM50 would not see GATM8???
You are right about the 4 line key as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back