Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 Failure 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbx2sip

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2009
US
I have a BCM50 that has failed. Symptoms are on a reboot, phones flash some of their buttons, nothing is displayed on the phones. There is no backup of the system, as it was aquired when they bought the building and have happily used it for the past few years without issue.

I purchased a new BCM50 out of Canada that I am hoping to be able to use. I"m not fluent on the BCM50, but I guess I will become able to soon.

I am tempted to move the HDD from the old unit to this new one to see if things come up - but suspect there is going to be license issues. I also suspect the HDD is the root of the issues. I could also put the HDD from the new unit into the old one, but not sure if I gain anything by doing so.

SYstem is basic - 4 analog trunks, about 10 digital phones.

Question - any suggestions on first attempts - move HDD's between units, or byte it and program this up like a new system?

IF I need to transfer license keys, is that doable easily? I believe CurlyCord is a resource for that if I have read correctly?

True dat!

Depending what LED sequences or colors you had seen on the old BCM depends on what the issue is.
No lights means the power supply or motherboard is gone.

LED sequence keeps repeating will mean the HDD had an issue.

You cannot just switch hard drives, you must have the right keycodes

You also must install the correct release software/hdd to what the BCM had originally, meaning if it had R2 then you cannot install R3, 5 or 6 and vice versa.

This part gets tricky...
If it was an Rx (1, 2, 3 or 5) that was upgraded to R6 then you need to install that original Rx software(HDD)
However, it was was an Rx and upgraded to R6 and the R6 Image patch was installed after the upgrade then you just need an R6 HDD

The NT code on the back will give a hint as to what release it was before any upgrades.

Since the replacement works then probably much easier to have the magician do his thing, and possibly up it to R6 if not already.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thank you! The new system is a R6, licensed for 4 analog trunks and 12 digital sets. I guess I will just program up this new one to use, and give up on the broken one for now.

Thanks for the information on the LEDs, that is helpful.

Please keep your fingers and eyes crossed for me!

Fingers crossed!

It would be a wise idea to clone the HDD inside the BCM over to an SSD before you put the system back into production. (see the FAQ) After you do this, the BCM will be reliable for the long-haul, and you'll have a backup set of system software if anything goes wrong with the SSD down the road. Don't forget that you can do scheduled backups of the BCM for the customer as well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back