Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 - Control Set Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

megs28

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2010
CA
Sorry for the lengthy post, but there's lots of info in here.

I have multiple BCM50s, one per office location. Each location has a SIP trunk and is run over a IPSEC VPN. In head office I have problem off hours where if another office calls an internal extension in head office it goes directly to voicemail. Dialing our main head office analog # and entering the extension doesn't produce this issue. We use services to have our reception phone to go directly to VM when it's off hours.

Software version: 10.0.1.52.176
Element Manager:v62.0.3

I'm wondering if it's the element manager that is messing it up....or if the control set in one section is trumping it in another for some odd reason. This is what I see happen:

- Occasionally the information in active sets and target lines will return incorrectly and I need to get out of the section and back into a different one. To me, this seems like a parsing problem somewhere, because despite the incorrect information, things work fine. ie. Names and extensions don't match up. I'm betting this annoyance is related to my issue. SO, when I'm changing things I go out and go back into the secion (VERY slow and frustrating process).

Info
- Our main set/reception set is 1221.
- In Target Lines I see this for my extension (1278):

Line - 140
Trunk Type - Target line
Name - Line140
Control Set - 1222 (random office phone that doesn't get affected by services)
Line Type - Public
Prime Set - 1221
Pub Received # - blank
Pric Received # - 1278
Distinct Ring - None
**In Sets - Capabilities/Preferences the control set is the reception set. BUT, it's like this in every office.

This is how my Avaya rep advised me to set it up (originally they had control sets for everyone to 1221 in lines). I've tried changing the prime set AND control set to my own it doesn't make a difference at all. So, despite the control set being 1222, it seems to think its control set should be 1221. I do this:

Change control set for my extension to 1221, then change it back to 1222.
Test it - great, it works!
Do the same for another extension, and mine stops working. Theirs still works....
Change mine again, and it works. Other person's doesn't....

I only have this problem with one BCM. It has persisted as long as I've been around (1.5 years), and through many patches and even a hard drive replacement. Other offices with identical hardware and patch levels do not experience the issue.

Any thoughts on how to approach this? This happens regardless of the PC I use Element Manager on (all Win 7). I'm afraid to clear the control set (in lines and sets) for everyone except reception.....especially because it's painfullly slow process to change 50 lines.

That's been an ongoing problem for a while now, made worse with Windows 7. All you have to do when things don't look right is to click the Refresh button on the top banner and it resorts everything properly. I just had to do 200 target lines this afternoon.......drove me crazy!

200, ouch!!

Hmm....I suppose I should have mentioned that I do refreshes between the changes. Things still go wonky. It only happens with 1 out of 5 BCMs.

Have you upgraded to Element Manager 62.0.5?.

I'm not sure if there are improvements for use with Windows 7?

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back