Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 received digits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpzan

Technical User
May 14, 2016
US
Hi,

Can a BCM450 6.0 with a received digit length of 7 process incoming 3 digit network calls from a remote BCM50 6.0?

The customer's receiving 7 digits from the phone company on their pri but want to set up 3 digit site to site dialing.

Neither system has an MCDN keycode.

If you are using sip or h323 program the line as private and set the digits to 3.

Isn't an MCDN keycode necessary to program a voip network line as private?

How about it?

Can a BCM with a received digit length of 7 process an incoming 3 digit network call from a remote BCM with no MCDN keycode in either system?

I think the BCM should be able to do this via the target line programming.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

Thanks.

I know a BCM with a received digit length of 7 will accept fewer than 7 digits in target line programming.

I guess the real question is will a BCM with a received digit length of 7 go ahead and route an incoming 3 digit call or will the BCM just sit there and wait until it sees 7 digits?

It will wait until the digits you specified.
If you said 3 then it will wait for 3, if you said 7 it will wait for 7.
As long as what you said is less then or equal to what the carrier is sending.

In Dialing Plan under Private make the Received Digits equal to 3 if you want 3.
Then create Targets with 3 digits under Private

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks curlycord but isn't an MCDN keycode necessary to activate private line programming fields?

As I stated twice there is no MCDN keycode in either system.

Not that I am aware of, it will however allow for centralized voice mail and message waiting.

You have not really said what you are trying to do and what method between buildings.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Actually you may have to use public targets sorry....been a few years since I have touched this.
Wait for responses, I am sure this has been covered before.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Thanks again.

I'm trying to set up 3 digit site to site dialing between a BCM450 6.0 and a BCM50 6.0 using H323 trunks.

The BCM450 has a pri and is receiving 7 digits from the phone company. The BCM50 hasn't been installed yet.

Both systems have 8 voip trunk keycodes and no MCDN keycode.

My main question is will a BCM process 7 digit public target line calls from the phone company AND 3 digit public target line calls from the remote BCM50?

I've scoured the search forum and the Nortel docs and so far haven't found a specific answer.

I've not tried, so I'm speaking from logic. Public is Public and if the rec'd digits required is 7 it needs at least 7 to properly process. All public trunks (T1, PRI or VoIP) use the same public parameters. Private is a different parameter from public.

It possible to reduce public rec'd digits to 3 digits even though your carrier is sending 7 but you'll process only the last 3. You'll have to reprogram all of your target lines. Then you can change your public rec'd digits to 3 and your VoIP trunks will function correctly.

Another option is on the remote side DEST code you can add digits to raise it to 7. User dials 222 but the dest code sends 1234222.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Thanks Marv.

What's made this customer particularly vexing is their main published number is 709-9900.

If the BCM won't do what I want I'm thinking about having the phone company change to sending the customer 3 digits and have them perform a "digit substitution" or "drop and insert" to substitute another number in place of the third 9. Fortunately there's only about 10 programmed DIDs.

About your second option - do you mean programming a separate 3 digit destination code that matches each remote extension and each destination code has it's own route programmed with a 7 digit dialout that matches target line entries in the remote BCM?

To be honest I don't remember if the mcdn is a must for private lines.
I have systems with 8 receive digits in public and the extensions are 3 digits.
Just make target lines with the 3 digits on each extension and you will be fine.

Thanks.

When you say "Just make target lines with the 3 digits on each extension" are you talking about private received digits?

Thanks.

I'll be connecting the two systems back to back next week for testing. I'll try the advice and recommendations given and report back.

Thanks again chrisag.

I connected the two systems together in the same lan today for testing. I started out programming everything as private and couldn't get a call to go through. When trying to dial a "site B" extension from "site A", the call attempt hung up immediately and the display returned to time and date immediately. Same result vice-versa.

I'm new to voip trunk programming so it's possible I wasn't programming private right.

After failing to achieve communication using private programming fields, I erased the private programming I had done and programmed everything as public. It worked perfectly.

So this BCM450 is set to receive 7 public digits in dial plan but has both 7 digit and 3 digit public target lines programmed that work. The BCM50 is set to receive 7 public digits but has 3 public digit target lines programmed that work.

Caller ID between BCMs would work right only if I programmed a business name and put the 3 digit extension number in private OLI.

Thanks again to everyone for offering their vast knowledge of Nortel freely.

I think in order to use private you need mcdn keycodes.
Now in public receive if you put 7 you can program anything from 7 to 1, with the clid it's an issue
because if you program 7 digits for the pri you will send 7 digits to the other bcm also.
Glad that you got it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back