Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 R6 Services Stopping / Telephony Restarting Several Times A Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 2014
US

Hey guys,

Found a few posts about this but never really any straight forward answers.

Have a BCM 450 R6 (Avaya branded - not upgraded) with a DTM & a DSM32+ Module.

Installed at a customer site (out of state from me) with about 6 IP phones and 20 digital stations.

The issue is that several times a day the telephony reboots and the phones flash and come up and the unit will work again. Sometimes it lasts a couple hours without rebooting. Sometimes it reboots 3 times in a row. It has gone a whole day without rebooting.

The customer says he doesn't think it's the whole box that is restarting, just some of the applications especially the higher level services that run the IP phones and VM and all the telephone services.

I have attached a screenshot of the alarms page.

Things we have done:
All of the latest patches
Replace the HD (and tried patching the new drive after the problem persisted)
New Power Supply

I don't think it's a UPS or outlet problem. Per the customer "I tried plugging into an AC outlet and then into a protected outlet that is backed up by our DC plant, generator etc. – both produced the same result. There is a inverter that cleans the power but it’s already pretty clean when it comes into the building so there really shouldn’t be any difference."

We would like to see what the logs say but can't find the default password for the .tar files, does anyone have this password or a way to retrieve these logs?

Any help would be appreciated

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c2da389e-1593-482a-a56e-a74173248ce0&file=BCM450_Alarms.png
Only thing left to replace is the Base Function Tray.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

What about the small card in the back of the unit that the power supply plugs into?

Could it possibly be the modules causing a short? I believe these modules are a bit older and were in a BCM200 before the upgrade to the BCM450.

It almost seems like the system is failing under a huge load, only it doesn't have that much hooked up to it.

Are the BFT in the R6 units known to go out?

I had a case where we found that the small circuit board that connects the power unit with the base unit had a bunch of soldered connectors and we reckon that when it got hot, the pins became loose and the switch rebooted.

I proved this by plugging in a serial cable with a null modem adapter at 115200 Baud and left it on a capture. After 3 or more hours, the switch just rebooted with no warning. Even a check in the alarm logs afterwards showed nothing.

We eventually got a replacement unit, but I'm certain on what the cause was!.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Just an update for everyone.. We have found that calls coming in over the T1 that were programmed to redirect were the cause of the reboots. We monitored it and when and only when these calls came in the system rebooted.

We canceled all the redirect programming and the system is yet to reboot. Still need to find a solution so that we can program the redirects.. Maybe a workaround?

I had found some similar problems in the patch releases that the patches were supposed to fix but we tried all the latest patches and a new T1 card even with no luck.

If anyone has a possible workaround for the redirect programming and wants to send it my way I would be much obliged.

Maybe corruption but get all parameters of T1 from carrier and match with yours.

As for a workaround and as a test setup up dest codes like 81 and 82 and routes to call the external numbers and forward sets.
i.e F481 would forward the set/calls to ABC

You need to provide details on current setup inbound.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back