Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 r6 - Are BCM backups disruptive to operations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 11, 2009
US
A while back on BCM400 we attempted to schedule BCM backups, but found they would take down call pilot in the process which impacted our 7x24 call center. Has this changed on r6.0?

When and how to most BCM admins perform backups of their configuration and data? Best practice..

VOJ

In my experience, BCM backups can't be done when Call Pilot / ACD is in use. The Agents will get logged out during the backup as I've found out on the older 3.7 and I'm sure it's happened on the 4.0 as well.

They should only be done when it's quiet and I understand it's a problem for 24/7 sites.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

We schedule nightly backups to our FTP server and the BCM itself.

In all cases when backing up, if you choose to backup the callpiot configuration/messages. There will be disruption to callpilot. When doing a manual backup, there is a warning message displayed telling you of service interuptions. This has been the case for every relaese I have worked on (all linux)

If we schedule the backup to the BCM on a off-time (e.g Sun 2am), can we copy these backup files manually to a USB drive from the BCM after the fact? Where are these backup files located and how do you access them.
VOJ

Sorry, I'm not too sure where they are stored or if they can be accessed.

Why not put the USB drive in the BCM and back right up to that? BCMs on the Linux OS support backups to removable media.

you can theoretically backup the BCM to the BCM hard drive, however this serves no purpose if the hard drive fails.

When backing up to the BCM itself, the backup file is written to /var/shadow/application/workarea/backup.tar.

Avaya can theoreticslly grab this file, however you'll need to raise a work item with them. You can use this file to potentially restore to a non-corrupt BCM.

Why not just schedule a backup to usb on the bcm or ftp server or a network share. When backing up to a network share, create a share direct and use the direct share.
e.g. \\server\share
not
\\server\share\one_layer_down\two_layers_down

regards
paul

Because we run 7x24, I only want to schedule one weekly backup. Backup to USB would work. I thought backup to BCM would be faster, but I also wanted a off-site copy. How big might the backup get (how big of a USB drive should I get)?
Thanks for the feedback. - VOJ

Backup size depends on how many voicemails your users keep. A guess at an average is between 20 and 250 MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back