Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 and Installed USB Jump Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBrewsky

Vendor
Jan 23, 2006
US
We had an issue and was wondering if anyone else has experienced it as well..

BCM450 with a USB jump drive installed for weekly backups. The BCM450 was manually rebooted and it never came back up. Connecting to the COM port showed gibberish. Come to find out, the BCM450 was trying to boot from the USB drive. Once the drive was removed, the BCM450 booted normally.

We have a case open with Nortel who said that a USB device cannot be in the BCM450 during a reboot because it looks at it during the boot process and will fail because it see's the device, but no boot sector.

I feel this is a bunch of hooey from Nortel. Why allow us to schedule backups to the USB then tell us we can't leave a device installed? One possible answer is they left this option open to allow an external CD-ROM to be used to re-image the internal HDD.

But I still feel this is hooey!!

Ideas??

--DB

You can have a usb drive plugged in during a reboot , I have rebooted several with the usb plugged in and not had any problems. They are not shipping with images , unfortunately they are using the bcm50 level 2 reset option to re image the drive on the 450 via the reset buttn on the front.

Which USB port did you have it connected to?

According to the documentation, top usb port is for UPS connection and the bottom usb for storage devices.

NCSS, NCDS, NCTS

Ya know thats a good question. I got a BCM450 sitting in my lab, and I will try it tomorrow.

--DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back