Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 and FEM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynot13

Technical User
Jan 12, 2004
CA
I am pre-programming a new BCM450 R5 with two 32+ DSM's, one FEM and one DTM, when programming the FEM and then plugging in a Norstar station module we have discovered that the port numbering seems to be all over the place. For instance the W/BL pair on the amphenol comes up with the extension number that I would expect on port 5, the ext. numbers that I would expect on pairs 6-8 of the amphenol are on pairs 2-4. If I plug into the 5th port of the station module I get the extension that should be on the first port. This pattern seems to follow each fibre port on the FEM. We have tried moving the FEM to a different slot on the BCM450, tried a new station modules and amphenols, always the same result.
Has anyone ever experienced this, could it be a bug in the BCM450?

Nortel claims this is design intent.

Basically, it swaps positions on the 25pr.
Norstar DN's 1-4 will become BCM DN's 5-8 and Norstar DN's 5-8 will become BCM DN's 1-4.

Norstar: BCM:
w/b = 221 225
w/o = 222 226
w/g = 223 227
w/bn = 224 228
w/s = 225 221
r/b = 226 222
r/o = 227 223
r/g = 228 224

Same thing happens on the next 8 pair. The red/brown pair will be 233 and the black/green pair will be 229.
Crazy, but there is a section on it in the Install guide.

-SD-

Yeah....Fems have always been this way..

Especially if you are using an existing modular expansion and dont change the ports jumpers..can cause a headache if you didnt know about it..

Thanks to SupportDude and snowman50 for this valuable information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back