Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 run with Linux/Open Source? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cndr99

Programmer
Jun 5, 2016
CA
Hello there! I was recently given a BCM400 (along with a lot of other crap) for recycling...

Well imagine my surprise when it powered up, and it appears to support 8 trunk lines with hunt group, and many many many extensions + voicemail.

My problem: no hard drive, and no keys.

Question: has anyone used open source Linux to run this machine? If so, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Bonus Question: is there anywhere (other than Avaya) to download the BCM software from?
Bonus Bonus Question: is there a way to tell which version of software this machine came with / or is compatible with?

Many thanks,

David

I'd be interested to see answers to this as well. I'm an individual with little knowledge on telephone systems and no relationship with any company who deals with this stuff, and I'd like to get my hands on a used BCM to play around with in my home, but I'm reserved against buying one knowing what it might cost just to make it functional.

Hi,

BCM400 generated keycode is tied to the Site id and the number of the expansion and other features such as VM, IP set etc. The hard drive can be purchased thru Avaya & its partner BUT you will need the activated keycode file to make it work .

BCM line of product,as you know comes to the end its commercial life cycle . If you interested in learning it, you might want to start with a Norstar CICS , preferably 6+ as you can get it very cheap . The only thing in learning this way is you are going to miss out is the VOIP and the Callpilot auto attendant, which is not cheap !

Personally, I would learn the more popular Avaya IPO

** Disclaimer : I have no association with Avaya nor with its vendor , just an end user ( Nortel CS1k, BCM, Avaya Aura, Avaya IPO, Cisco CM )

Thanks

Hello Guys

I should be able to answer all your queries. The system site ID is on the MSC card and it is the long card that is attached to the motherboard via a PCI slot. The site ID is usually underneath the card and with that, we can tell you what you have and probably the licenses as well.

These systems can be modified and the Linux version at 4.0 was very good for it's day as the USB port could be used.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Hey thanks for the answers!

@maritimeman: Its too bad because while the BCM400 has mouse, keyboard and monitor plugs but unless some enterprising soul comes up with a skinny linux app that will work on it, it looks like the BCMs will be good for nothing but boat anchors!. I managed to get TinyCore, Peppermint and Puppy (Slitaz)linux to install on it, but Asterisk, Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu were too much - only 256M of memory. Similarly, I was unable to get Windows NT, NTE, 2000, ME, XP or 98SE to install on it. I will keep watching this space in case someone comes on with some kind of solution.

@madwok: Am I correct in thinking that the SYSID of the BCM400 is fixed, or does it change every time you power it off, like my Norstar MICS? If it is a fixed ID, then I presume that the old keycodes (which i don't have anyway) won't work anymore...how does that work for used equipment? Likely the cost of new licence(s) would exceed that of a new IPO? Will my T7316E's work with the Avaya IPO? Our business is very small, and the Norstar is so reliable, we are reluctant to spend a lot of money upgrading - right now there seems to be a lot of serviceable equipment being pulled that might be given a new life here for a reasonable cost...

Many thanks!

Hi,

Sysid is not changed each time you powered off. Like Firebirdsrambler said, it is associated with a piece of the hardware in the BCM400 platform.

Your 7316es will work with Avaya IPO providing you buy the right card or ext module for them. Of course you do not get all the old features but the majority of the capabilities of the set are still there . Avaya did not leave all the Norstar sets useless in IPO environment . We have shops that actually are using BOTH Avaya and Norstar digital handsets without much of issue . VOIP BCM 12xx sets is horrible in IPO
as you have to convert them into SIP.

In my previous job, we have migrated over 5000+ sites from BCM, Nostar, Avaya Partner, Legend etc. to IPO and we are quite happy with it . Statistically, our trouble tickets went down 50% after the migration.

Disclaimer : I do not work for Avaya nor for any of its distributors/vendors !

madwok said:
If you interested in learning it, you might want to start with a Norstar CICS

I actually originally looked at the CICS, as well as the 3x8, but assumed that being older, they required a serial connection to a computer and learning cryptic terminal commands to configure, but just today I did some more research, and I guess all the configuration can be done from a phone. Plus, if I'm understanding it right, they can be reset to factory configuration just by removing the internal battery, and there's no "red tape" to go through, like keycodes.

If that's correct, then that is a way more attractive solution to what I'm looking for than a BCM. The only issue is, while a BCM can be had for $50 on eBay, people want hundreds for a CICS or 3x8!!

CICS and MICS can be rest by doing a **STARTUP with 15 minutes of powering up system.
You can also short out the Capacitor to reset programming as well.

Those system have no where near the capability that a BCM has therefore the only key codes they will have is CICS will have key codes to open up more station and trunk ports on a restricted software and MICS will have a PRI key code.
They also require an external voice mail system.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back