Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoneguy24

Vendor
Aug 19, 2004
US
I have a BCM400 4.0 software and the System on its own is rebooting. This does not happen all the time but every once in awhile does a reboot out of the blue. Any suggestions or if you have run into this probable please let me know.
Thanks

What alarms r showing in the alarm log?
What color r the caps on the BFT?

If it's an older unit, pre R4.0, then look inside the unit for leaky capacitors. This was a common problem with older BCMs. I doubt that Nortel is still replacing these, so you'll probably need to send it out for repair.

Brian Cox
BC Telecom Services

The system had the MSC card and the BFT replaced -- the Capacitors are Blue before I got involved with this system. I checked the Capacitors before I upgraded them about 2 months ago. The Alarms start out with a 52005 (Critical) -Error reset by Network Management after a few of these it goes to 52006 (critical) received EMS_EVENT _CONNECTION _LOSTfrom MSM then goes and starts shutting down services and rebooting. I appreciate all of the assistance.
Thanks

If the MSC card is ok, maybe the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced? What was the original s/w rls? Has the HD ever been replaced?

I should have mentioned that yes when I took over this system (3.7 Release) it kept taken voice mail out of service and all the lights would blink and after a reboot everything would come back up. When I got their I talked with the customer and that is when they had told me that the MSC Card and the BFT was replaced. I then got them a new Hard Drive with 3.7 and I replaced that then patche. I am not sure if the PEC Cards may be an issue -- they have 2 installed right now and they have 2 others out of the system that I could put in. Thanks

I have changed out the power supply to the BCM and it has been about a week and the system has not rebooted. The System has been in service for 7 years -- the power supply could be getting tired.

We have had a BCM400 reboot randomly as well.
After a few part changes - Power Supply, HDD, etc. it turned out to be the UPS (APC Smart-UPS 1000) USB connection that was signaling the BCM to shut down for no apparent reason. Once the USB cable was unplugged from the BCM the rebooting stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back