Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 login issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deryk Hagey

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2017
US
We have a BCM 400. I cannot log into it any more. I am the only one who administers it. The password I have written down so I know it should be right. When I try to access from the web it just keeps prompting continuously, from Element Manger it eventually says "cannot determine device type".

Any ideas? I have not changed anything on it recently, I was just going to log in to update some names on the extensions. I did restart the system through a phone, so I can access it that way using the default credentials (user 738662, etc).

One thing I will say occurred some time ago was we had some international calls come up on our phone bill, which were fraudulent. We assumed that somehow someone from the outside was able to route the calls through the BCM. We do not have voicemail or auto attendant. I just pulled the plug on the access from the outside world and didn't even try to log in myself. I don't know a lot about the system, just the basics to get by. It was something dumped on me and of course is no longer supported by the installer (local telco).

Thanks!

Update: So I did some searching and I ran across some articles about corrupt files. I then tried BCM Monitor and it says "denied using specific username and password." I went back to Network Elements and it is also saying bad password. I 100% know what the password should be. I have also tried PlsChgMe! as just if by chance it somehow went back to that. I am using nnadmin for the username which is what I have always used.

Is it possible if it was compromised from the outside the credentials were changed?

I agree with number1......the system is telling you what the problem is. Why don't you believe it? Just necause you didn't change it doesn't mean someone else didn't. Have you tries the default nnadmin password?

I do now believe it must be a password issue. Initially though it was saying could not determine device type. I have tried the default password. I'm not saying somebody couldn't have changed the password but I am the only technician here so it would have to been an authorized access.

I have known it where the wrong upper/lower case letters were used when changing a password. This usually happens when remote access is used from another computer such as RDC etc.

When pressing the shift or Caps Lock key, a lower case letter is sent rather than a upper case one.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Indeed it was a password issue, now resolved.

Add me to LinkedIN

**New Allworx Forum**

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Just to let everyone know this was resolved thanks to curlycord. It was apparently a password issue, but I cannot explain how that occurred!

No worries Deryk. At least you didn't have to do a total reset to get back into the system again.

My advice to everyone is to always create another account with full admin rights. The problem you then have is trying to remember what the account name was!.

It's a good idea to print out the programming record as this records some login accounts, but not the passwords!.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back