Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 - Backup Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

the7thcolumn

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2011
CA
Nortel Gurus,
I have a perplexing question for you, we have a BCM400 onsite here and are having issues backing up the BCM. Every time we access:

Administration > Backup and Restore > Backup

We are logged off. This only happens after we attempt to set up a backup to network location. We are now unable to backup to anything as we cannot access the backup features.

Please can anyone offer some guidance?

When you say you are "logged off", give more detail. Does it seem to hang or does it close Element Manager entirely. The BCM is very sensitive and specific in setting up a backup.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

It is identical to the posts above thats why I referenced them.

`connection was closed due to inactivity` and after that `the device connection has been lost`

Last first time this happened it was on a re-occurring event and we were unable to ever access the backup again, we had to restore to a manual backup.
This time it was a one time backup that was scheduled and when it kicked me out this time I was unable to gain access to backup until after the schedule passed last night.

Is it patched current?

NCSS, ATSP/IP

Did you try any of the suggestions given in the other post?

NCSS, ATSP/IP

DigitelD:
We had this issue on 3.x and 4.0, currently it is 4.0
I am unsure if the tech install the Software Management patch when he upgraded to 4.0

It needs to be patched current to see if that fixes the issue. That is the first thing I would recommend as there were backup issues fixed.

NCSS, ATSP/IP

I have been playing with this issue and have found out how to recreate it without compromising the system. I have not yet found a solution but since there is very little documentation on this error I am posting this for anyone else.

To duplicate this issue:

1)Log into the BCM.
2)Select Administration (tab) , Backup and Restore (tree) , Backup , Scheduled Backups.
3)Add Fill out the appropriate fields. ** Choose a backup time that is 10 Min. from now. Do not set reoccurring **
4)Click Apply , you will be booted from the system. Clicking Backup will pose the message "connection was closed due to inactivity"
5)You will be unable to access the backup button until after the job fails. You can check the logs for: Backup and Restore - [REASON FOR FAILURE]

If you set it to reoccurring the system will never let you back in, to replicate this safely you need to set a time that will run once and expire. After this time has elapsed then you can access the backup feature.

Again, patch to current. Most likely will solve your issue.

NCSS, ATSP/IP

Again, this is only for reference for duplication of the issue for users who are unable / not at the skill or confidence level of updating there system but experience the same issue.

You may be unable but there are many out there who are able. They are vendors who can do this for you. They will make you happy.[thumbsup]

NCSS, ATSP/IP

Agree that you should try patching it first. If that doesnt fix it, your drive is probably on the way out. In an earlier posting you mentioned that you had the problem when it was a 3.x. That tells us that the system is quite old and if that is the original drive, consider yourself lucky that it lasted this long. As anyone who has worked on these systems for any length of time will tell you, it's not a matter of if the drive will fail, but when!

@DigitalD - Yes if my vedor would ever appear onsite. I am much too busy to deal with the BCM.
@firebirdscrambler - Yes I am using the latest manager with the system, thanks for the tip!

connection was closed due to inactivity"

I was getting the same error when trying to connect via Element Mgr. to systems when they replaced my hard drive on my pc. There were only a few ip addresses and systems that I could connect to.

Enable PMTUBHDetect
Valid Range: 0, 1 (False, True)

Default: 0 (False)

Determines whether TCP tries to detect black hole routers during the Path MTU (maximum transmission unit) discovery process. Enabling black hole detection increases the maximum number of times TCP retransmits a given segment.

If the value of this entry is 1, TCP recognizes when it has transmitted the same segment several times without receiving an acknowledgement. It reduces the maximum segment size (MSS) to 536 bytes, and it sets the Don't-Fragment bit. If, as a result, receipt of the segment is acknowledged, TCP continues this practice in all subsequent transmissions on the connection.

Windows 2000 does not add this entry to the registry. You can add it by editing the registry or by using a program that edits the registry.

May help.

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back