Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bcm200 mainboard relacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmarino59

IS-IT--Management
Nov 18, 2017
US
I have a BCM200 which has lost its NIC ports. If I replace the mainboard will my licenses still be valid? I want to pull the configuration off and use Avaya Data Migration Manager to migrate to an IP Office 500v2 platform.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bob

That depends on the bcm version.

You haven't give us any information regarding the bcm type, model , version etc.

Bcm 200. Release 4.0
Bcm 200. Release 6.0

The old version the bft could be replaced without losing the licence.
Msc card separate and attached to the bft. Base function tray

The new version which did not have the Msc card installed the bft would have a new SID therefore the licence would need to be regenerated against the new SID.

On BCM200, the system ID is read from a device that is on the MSC card. Due to that, a mainboard replacement won't have any impact on the installed keycodes. In fact, if you have another functional BCM200, you could just temporarily move the hard drive and the MSC card from the failed system to the functional one to retrieve information about the license.

My apology snowman. We had three locations installed at the same time, the other two are running release 4. I would assume this system is the same. I will check labels on the boxes.
What do MSC and BFT stand for?

I should be able to get more info tomorrow once i'm in the office.

Thanks,

MSC stands for Media Services Card (the PCI card installed in the system).

BFT stands for Base Function Tray (the entire drawer with the motherboard).

Thank you.
So if my system has a MSC then I should be able to swap system board?

The system board is called a BFT per above.

You can swap a BFT yes, but relocate the MSC card into the new one.

You may want to read [link white-harris.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/nortel-bcm-40-install-guide.pdf]this guide[/url]

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Thanks Curly, i will take a look and post results tomorrow on this thread.

Big oops! I was given wrong model number. Its a BCM450. This is the new version as stated by snowman a new sid would need to be serialized on the new board with the licenses.

Am I screwed? What are my options now?

Thanks,

Thanks, will a support contract be required and will access to the original system be required?

I know, very strange. but I did have my vendor take look.
What is procedure for connecting via OAM port? I'm familiar with the 200 but not 450.

ok able to login

when I set lan port to dhcp it picks up 192.168.2.2 255.255.254.0
my lan is 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0

if I set static not able to ping. tried both ports.

Can i use oam port with the Avaya DMM for IPO?

I would never set the LAN ports to DHCP. Pick an unused IP in your subnet and set it static. That way you will always know what the address is.

Marv ccna

or maybe back to static and use 192.168.1.x then reboot?

Are you using your laptop straight to your Lan port on the BCM or via your Network? just use your laptop until it's sorted out.
I would think the BCM Lan port is making itself the default IP when you make it DHCP yet your laptop does not dish out IP's.

If you leave it at default then change your laptop to 192.168.2.3 255.255.254.0 and see if it connects.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back