Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM will be replaced after 3.7 is this true ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanning

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
??????

I am not sure if it's going to after v3.7 per se but, I have a good source that says that Nortel is moving away from Microsoft and getting into the Unix foray.

The BCM's Embedded NT 4.0 is getting dated and without MS supporting the OS, I can't see why they wouldn't migrate to another platform.

Oh and according to my source, there is not going to be an upgrade option for current BCM customers (as of yet). I'm thinking it's going to be a whole new system - more money to spend... $.$

I do not know how much impact it has but Nortel has an agreement with Microsoft for continued support of the embedded NT. I have also heard rumors but with no facts we can only wait. I do not believe the no upgrade path as Nortel has always been good about offering a way to upgrade.
Maybe the BCM will be replaced but I hope that current users of a current software level would be offered an upgrade similar to the free Succession offered to the PBX users.
NARSBARS

They are going to a linux platform I beleive. You can allready see this transition in the tools for 3.6 BCM's.
Many of the admin tools are moving to non windows specific applications.

As for what revision they are going to change with, would make sense on 4.0 yes?

There is a BCM 50 that will be using the UNIX platform. I'm not sure if it has been released. I'm sure the rest of they platform will follow suit.

BCM will migrate to Linux in the October timeframe. The main reason is that Microsoft will no longer support Windows Embeded NT after 2006. The release will be BCM 4.0 Any BCM with a 20MB hard drive can be upgraded to release 4.0, but the BCM will have to be at release 3.6, or 3.7 first.

What is the reason (other than money) for requiring that a BCM200 using MS Windows NT has to be upgraded first. The switch to Linux would be a welcome relief, but I can't understand why anything would be fungible from an upgraded NT platform to Linux. Help me!

Nortel will indeed be switching away from Microsoft NT Embedded. Microsoft is officially stopped support for that platform anyway.

I am sure Nortel was not crazy about the licensing fees either.

BCM50 is on a Nortel carrier grade Linux platform. It is their own "customized" OS.

BCM 4.0 will follow suit.

BCMs in the field will probally require some major upgrades due to the new OS, new applications and a difficult migration path for existing apps. (My Guess).

Stockman16

Stocman16 is exactly right.
His description agrees with everything I have heard.

Just remember if you are under 3.7 you will have to upgrade to 3.7 first ($$$) and then upgrade to 4.0 more ($$$)somewhere around one thousand list and three to four hours labor.

I think for this upgrade I will have a clone Hard Drive ready at every installation for some time.

NARSBARS

So is the upgrade to 4.0 available at the 3.6 level or it has to be 3.7? I see 2 different comments in this forum discussion saying conflicting information.

The 3.7 tech transfer talks about upgrading the system from 3.7 (embedded NT platform) to the BCM 4.0 (linux platform).you would need to be at 3.7 before you can upgrade to 4.0.But I would say the other point I would make is if you get a corupt hard drive are you going to have to have a 3.7 hard drive and upgrade to a 4.0. This way your current info stored on the MSC card is converted to the correct format???????

Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back