Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM upgrade 3.5 or 6 to 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2008
US
generally how long does the actual upgrade process take from start to finish.

I've heard in the past that it can take up to 4 hrs.

I did a few, they took about 2 hours each, the complete backups were done before I started so I don't include that time.

if you run into problems I am sure it would be longer, but the few I did went smooth.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

Don`t forget to allow time for patching backups and client software upgrades

If its not broke tweak it..

From start to end usually 90 minutes and another hour for patching(latest SU is about 45 minutes..)
Another good thing to do is to bring a replacement hard drive of the same version you're about to upgrade, just in case...!

4hrs from the time u arrive and setup, do the backup, and run the upgrade. 3.5 to 4.0 add another 1hr or 2.

I've done about 25 upgrades from 3.6 to 4.0 the average time on-site ( I know this because we bill customers from when I step out of the vehicle) has been 2.5 hours.

This includes setup and take down.

This does not include one site that went bad.... that required a new hard drive and 5 hours.

itcdominic

Anybody quoting a customer less than 4 hours to do one of these has got to be losing money. This includes backing up before you start,doing 4.0 backup when you finish & the latest 4.0 patches. The latest sytem patch takes over an hour to a newly upgraded 4.0 system. Most customers will then require some sort of training on the Element Manager.

Agreed 4 hours is what i quote

If its not broke tweak it..

We quote 4hrs for a 3.6/3.7 - 4.0 and 6hrs for a 3.5-4.0

thats what i was figuring i've done 1 3.5 to 4.0 and it was around 4 hrs including running the pre check and patching after upgrade i've also done a bcm 50 upgrade from 1.0 to 2.0 and it was in the same time range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back