Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM to BCM 400 4.0 IP over WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkrisher

IS-IT--Management
May 18, 2009
US
Basic question. Soon upgrading BCM 400's at my sites from 3.7 to 4.0 and changing to i2004 phone sets. Eventually we will then start IP trunking between the sites over a WAN. We are wondering if we will need to change the DN scheme at each site to be unique so that we will have less problems when we eventually set up communication paths between the BCM's over the WAN. I am thinking we will not have to because in my mind it would just be OGT dest. code -> IP trunk out -> IP trunk in -> trunk appearence on all phone sets. These are 9-1-1 call centers so there should not be any DN to DN calls from what I know. Only talking/transferring between dispatches.

They will need to be different. You cannot have a destination code the same as your dn's.

How would my Dest codes be the same as the other end's DN? I am not calling, for example, extension 2201 at the EMS 911 from the Police Dept position 2201. The incoming trunks should just be an appearance on EMS's phone sets like any other trunk or line and the call comes in to all phones that have that line appearance on the phone. There's know way of knowing which dispatcher is going to answer the call, 2201, 2202 etc. We don't want to pass the DN of the phone that is doing the transfer, only the Caller ID of the person that called. Kinda like a ringdown circuit.

From what Im understanding a call will come into ext 2201 at site A, and will need to be transfered to site B with multiple target lines? When you transfer the call, in order to get to the far end there needs to be a destination code. In this example you couldn't create a destination code of 2 so how could the call get to the other side?

I think I see what you mean. Just like dialing "9" selects a set of lines, there still needs to be a number to dial out on the line.

Here is the scenario I'm looking for with IP trunking over a WAN to multiple sites. A call that came into 911 trunk #1 at Call Center A, which rings all phones that have that line appearance, needs to be sent to Call Center B, but not to a set extension in the Call Center. Instead it needs to appear in call center B the same way it appeared in call center A, as ringing on a trunk that appears on all sets that anyone in the call center can answer. Call Center B picks up the call and receives caller ID of the transferred call. In a call center you can't expect DN 3201 to be manned all the time and Call Center A does not have the time on a 911 call to cycle through extensions trying to transfer the call to call center B.

If I had to call, for example, 3201 at site B from 2201 at site A, then that wouldn't be considered "Trunking" to me. That would be standard IP Telephony and the purchased package of "IP Trunking" would be a major deception. I would see in that scenario where I would need unique DN's at each of my sites and Proper routing codes to get to the different sites on the WAN.

So if I can not really create a set of incoming trunks at site B to appear as lines on the PBX for me to transfer to with the "IP Trunking" package ordered for the BCM's, then I need to cancel the IP trunking packages and stick with the standard telco way of transferring calls.

As long as the 2 call center dn's are different, you could transfer calls between sites, even if extensions were the same. If thats all you need to do then it would work. I would rather start from scratch and gain maximum flexibility when I installed it though. When you connect 2 different phone systems you connect them with trunks, hence IP trunks. Don't know how that could be deceptive?

The more I rough it out, the more I tend to agree with you. Since the systems need to be down for the upgrade from 3.7 to 4.0, I might as well make each site a different DN structure. You never know what's down the road. Thanks for your information!

Grrrr.... Nortel can be confusing. Should the above scenerio be NTAB3116 VOIP Gateway/2trk or NTKC0258 SIP Gateway/2trk?

I have heard that H.323 is better on the BCM's than SIP. I believe in one of the forums here. Also, I hear any IP trunking license on the BCM400 has settings to switch it to H.323. I will most likely try to use H.323. Do you remember the license you had to purchase? I just heard back from someone else that it is probably the SIP Gateway license since it is on a WAN and not VOIP gateway because it is for connecting to the PSTN.

Guys

Sorry to come in late but why don't you have destination codes for each site. Users at each site will dial the site number then the extension. The site number can be passed to the other site were it can be entered in the received digits of the Target line and then associated to a User.

Having linked number schemes is OK when you start from scratch but may become hard to manage in long term.

Ie

site A CODE 61 + (user DN)

site B CODE 62 + (user DN)

Regards

Because these are not person to person calls, these are call-center to call-center. The call needs presented to all dispatchers at the same time until the next available picks it up. A ringing line in the dispatch. They don't really even answer off a Nortel phone set. Its a 9-1-1 vendors PC app that uses LANCte to control a phone stuffed under the desk. I will, however, set up unique site DN schemes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back