Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM stay or go? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
Just checking to see if anyone has heard any rumors of Avaya keeping or discountinuing the BCM line? Last I heard I thought they were keeping it but now I've had others tell me maybe not. Anyone here have any idea?

Anyone who knows at either Avaya or Nortel ain't talking. Last I heard was that the full product line announcement was to be made sometime in January. Looks like a case of hurry up and wait.

Good question, i also heard this rumour, Curious about this and wish have a comment from any Nortel expert.

I heard the only system they might keep is the CS1000 (they love it). On the other hand why would they release 5.0 software and try to get everyone to upgrade if they are going to discontinue the product.

I agree............. We just have to wait and see.

Rumor mill says anything with a MSC card will be discontinued without support. Avaya to keep BCM50 and BCM450 only. Nortel client base to large to ignore completely.

Also Avaya to offer incentives for customers to migrate to BCM50 or BCM450.

any news on this one? i believe day one for avaya already started but we have not receive any news about BCM.

Would Avaya keep the IP Office even though it overlaps with the BCM? Or, do you think they will phase the IP Office out?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

Thay are both good products in different ways, if they took the best of both, i.e. just move some of the nice features and the imense flexibilty of the IP Office to the BCM. I think it would be without a doubt the best product on the market.

I completely agree.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

I really like the BCM, but its the simple little things that lets it down, for example, having a system targeted towards up to 300 extensions but only allowing you a 7 character name on them. I have put in a few large ones and you are bound to have 2 people with the same name like Catherine or something like that. Then you have to explain to the customer that the extensions have to be labelled
Cather1
Cather2
Lets just say afer spending >50,000 on a system, they are not happy. And they have every right to be, as I completely agree with them and cannot argue the point.

Avaya does these sort of things well, along with their SCN networking. I'm a fan of that.

I am a Nortel partner and I thought all along that they would keep the BCM - but I am starting to wonder.
We have been invited to attend a 3 day Avaya event next week to learn the ins and outs of doing business with Avaya and according to the agenda they only touch on a product for half of 1 of the 3 days and the product is IP office.
This concerns me.
I just signed on a customer for a 5 year lease on a brand new BCM450 R5 - I would hate to think in a couple of years he's going to be leasing a boat anchor that we can't do anything with.

what i would like is BCM to have IP office's short code, dialing/numbering plan ease and SIP extension support or IP office having BCM's UM, and remove the SCN limitation. thats i few i would like in case they would just retain one over the other

I don't think AVAYA will keep a system that was so closely linked in operational character to a digital key system for any longer than they have to.

See also: OCTEL Migration Plan. Ok, Engineers, we need an IP-based voicemail server but one that would support digital integration with a discontinued PBX.

Why are you laughing?

time to move on, we seem to be in dinial to accept that only a few of the Nortel products will still exist.

Does any one remember DEC, where is are those products? embedded into HP from Compaq.

Still hoping, LOL

My vendor reports the 50 and 450 are keepers. The 5.0 software does start to bring in some of the IP office features without the bad.
I was on a conference call with Avaya and they still said the 7 letter limitation would stay. What BS!

NARSBARS

It looks like there will be some serious melding of the products - and if they can give the BCM the conference bridge power of the IP office AND the analog power - we will have one heck of a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back