Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50b

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarmock

Technical User
Oct 23, 2005
GB
Hi I think this is a logn shot, but wonder if anyone can help. A Nortel BCM50b has 2 BRI ISDN ports. Does the unit have the harware also to support an anaogue trunk. Ie can one of the ISDN ports be disused and the system configured to use an analogue trunk connected via the 25 pair connector as it could on a standard BCM 50?

Hello Clive

How are you keeping?. It's been a while. The motherboard on the BCM 50b is different to the standard BCM 50. I think your only option is to find an old BCM 50 with analogue ports and use that after modifying the keycode file as the BRI code of 119 2 will need to be changed to 115 4 (I think?)

Another idea is to use an add on module that has Analogue trunks on it.
You can swap out the hard disk that is a BRI coded one to use it on a standard BCM 50. I'm sure I've done it, but then needed to change the keycode so that I could see the analogue lines.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Hi - I am ok thanks - good to see you here. Yes I have a spare 50B as well as wa workign standard 50 with an expension 4 x BRI module. I was wondering if I could consolidate into a single unit with one analogue trunk and one BRI trunk, but it looks like that's not possible.

It'll all beocme a moot point before long when BRI becomes unavailable in the UK.

Yes, all I'm doing these days is pulling out Telecom's equipment with Analogue or ISDN2 / 30 and replacing it with a hosted solution as this seems to be the answer to most customers more than ever since the pandemic started.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Yo cc!

Your right, cannot be done.
BRI codes disable the analog ports.

Cheers
cc

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I once bought a BCM50 off eBay that turned out to be a BCM50b. I ended up using it as my personal office system since I only use SIP trunks.

An option is to add an expansion with a GATM4 or GATM8 to get analog trunks. 4x16 and 8x16 modules are also an option.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back