Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 won't take static IP but DHCP is no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

burncoRP

MIS
Jun 4, 2015
CA
Long time lurker, first time joiner.

I've got a really strange issue with a BCM 50 that I have seen happen before. It simply won't take a static IP. Everything is correct. It's rebooted and it reverts back to the original IP. I did all this through the OAM port.

I just had it happen on one today. I got it to finally get on the network by selecting DHCP. It grabbed an addy and worked perfectly. At that point I figured everything was working and I'd apply a static. It just wouldn't take the static. Yes I made sure it wasn't in use by pinging it so it wasn't a dup. At least after the DHCP assigment it kept reverting to the DHCP addy so I could get to it from the network.

Anybody have any ideas why it's doing this? I had it happen with another one in Ft Mac and I never even tried to use DHCP. To this day it has it's old addy but the subnet, gateway and DNS servers that I set. Bizarre! I think if I did try with DHCP it would have worked but no static allowed after that.

I did do this successfully at another plant so I'm not sure why some will take a static and some will not.

It's a BCM50 at R3 from what I can tell.

If I could get to the Linux in the background I think I could find out the answer but that seems almost impossible from what I've read on here. They should have exposed the OS for just this reason to make it a bit easier to deal with but what can I say?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give some insight into this.

P.S. Yes, I have searched the forum and the web in search of some insight with absolutely no luck. That's how I know I need a proprietary dongle to access the kernel on this thing.

Yikes! I wasn't really expecting to do patching. I'll have to do that after hours. The real problem is that if I pooch that box up I'm up crap creek. I may try and redo the network before the patching because I really don't want to take a chance.

You know I'm not a phone guy but they expect me to work on the phones. The first thing that goes seriously wrong it will be: "Why did you touch it, you're not a phone tech!" You know how it is. You just can't win.

Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know what happens.

Just do it the way I explained and you will be fine. The rest of the stuff you can do later.

Your system has been running pretty well up to now so don't jump to any conclusions.

It's always a good idea to keep the system patched up to date so you have all the latest fixes and enhancements but don't let it take over your life.

Belt and Braces first. I mean get some backups done first and have more than one. Yes save it with *.tar as the keycode file can be extracted from it using e.g. WinRar.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

It took a while but I wanted to report back. The suggestions here absolutely worked for our site in Ft Mac. After a network configuration reset it started to pull a DHCP. The funny thing is I thought it would take forever and reboot the box but it didn't. It came back quick, we didn't lose the phones due to a reboot and it grabbed an IP.

The bad news is that it won't let me set a static IP. That is because, as many of you mentioned, the patching has to be done. Now more bad news: they don't want me patching these boxes. They're scared I'll bork something up and, since this is a functioning business, cost lots of time and money. Such is the way in the business world...

I want to once again thank all of you. The manager at this location can now do his phone business through the BCM and it's attendant web pages and is happy. I've gained a real good size chunk of knowledge in this system and that always helps down the road. They're going VoIP here shortly and I really don't know about reliability. The BCMs have gone 10-15 years without a problem or reboot until I started getting them on the network, so to speak.

Thanks for update

As for patches they are not an issue.
Schedule the patches for self install at 2am.
System patch first then Desktop patch

Then check Alarms to see that all went well.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Hey thanks, Curly, I didn't know you could do that. I'll log into the one at our South side plant and give it a shot.

It's pretty safe to schedule a patch to be applied out of hours. The system patch will always reboot the BCM system, but the Desktop patch only loads in software applications and won't cause the switch to reboot. Some of the smaller patches will reboot and it's wise to read the readme.txt file first.

Always do the latest system patch first, then the desktop one!.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

I think our main BCM at our main plant is patched up already.

Model: BCM200
Version: 4.0.2.03

I've been to: It show's the latest and final patches so I guess it's not fully patched.

One question; where to I get these patches? Avaya's website or does someone know of another repository.

Customers need to get in touch with an a vendor....some vendors are not authorized with Avaya but have a partnership with one.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back