Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 WILL NOT PASS MUSIC ON HOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

pop9002

Technical User
Jul 9, 2012
US
I am working with a BCM 50 6.0 SOFTWARE VERSION. It will not pass music on hold to callers. The music source is getting into the system because background music works. When I turn music on hold on the caller gets nothing. On hold tones work. We have several other BCM 50's working the same patch and release version and none of them have this issue. Anyone have any idea's or maybe seen this before?

Is this uploaded files to the BCM Music Manager or via the mini jack?
Try one or the other, might be mobo issue.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

The music is coming in thru the mini jack on the BCM. These are not upload files. Sorry not sure what mobo is. Music is working on background music setting just will not pass to music on hold. works on all others set up like this.

Yes there is. If i select on hold tones that works. If I select music the caller just hears dead air. Usually on the BCM 50 I just select music and they hear the music source when on hold. Not with this system.

When you access the Music Manager via your browser, I'm guessing that you have it set to the external jack?.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

what about the 25 pair connection, black / green?

I have not tried the 25 pr connection. I actually thought since the music was getting inside the system(the back ground music is working) then it was not in the physical connection. Could this thinking be wrong? Also, sorry guys but I am not familiar with Music Manager. We have BCM 50's at several sites and I have never had to use Music Manager to make music on hold work.

I found music manager and yes the setting is for external jack.

The music jack and the blk/grn are interconnected. using the jack disables the blk/grn pair. There may be a hardware issue using the music jack so yes try the blk/grn pair. Be sure to unplug anything you have in the music jack.

Marv ccna

Had the same issue, checked everything all looked good. I replaced the hard disk restored the backup and all works fine. Do not ask what was wrong i do not know. It just works. Maybe it worths playing around with a spare hard disk.
Nikos

This company uses a provider for their background and hold music that comes from a source providing specialized recordings designed for each location. I don't believe we can get those to be used from the IP music setting. I am going to go to that location tomorrow and try to see if using the green/black pair on the 25 pair block works. I have not tried that yet. I will report back so that every one can know if that works. hoping I do not have to replace the hard disk. It may come to that yet.

Yes you can use marketing greetings on IP Music.
If they are on a USB stick then upload to BCM or ask them to send you the file.

Try a wav file in the meantime 8Khz Mono

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

I have tried to connect the music on hold thru the 25 pr wiring block (black/green). It still does not work. Again it works for the background music feature but not the music on hold. The business receives it's background music/recordings over an internet connection and receives frequent updates this way also. The device is connected to their internet connection then connects to the BCM.

You still could have tested it so will just go with the mobo is defective then I suppose.
Maybe trying a Factory Default and restoring a backup would tell too.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

My guess is that you have corruption on the BCM system. Personally, I'd get a full back done first and try to rebuild the system using another BCM (if possible) or another hard disk, but make sure you patch it to the same ones that exist on the system or the last ones issued for that release to avoid more problems.

Finally do a full restore using the backup that you had done. I would be careful not to do the factory reset method unless you know that the factory image patch was installed, or that the BCM was already supplied at release 6.0.

You need to have all the current patches before you start the process and you can't cut corners by not doing the patches prior to uploading the database. This will only lead you to more issues.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks for the help everyone. Looking like a lot of work to fix a little problem so to speak. That's how it goes sometimes. I was hoping for some quirk that I had not heard of. Doesn't seem like that is going to be the issue. Luckily I have all the BCM's set to backup to the network once a week. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back