Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 to a MICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norcomm262

Vendor
Aug 27, 2008
US
What is recommended to connect a BCM 50 to a MICS at another location without a point to point T1 between the locations?

I would like to connect the two systems as cheap and cost affective as possible. Whatever equipment needed to do so can be purchased.

What exactly does the Tenor S do for connecting the phone systems up together does this allow for 3 or 4 digit dialing between offices ?

You can install IP trunks (H.323) on the BCM and a Norstar Remote Gateway on the Norstar. The gateway connects to the network and gives you 4 FXO ports to connect to the Norstar. You would need a VPN if using the Internet to route the calls.

Another thing I've done is a "poor man's tie line" with a couple of ATAs, one on each system connecting to an analog line on the other. That lets a user hit the line key and dial an extension on the other system.

Other methods would be PRI, T1, or analog E&M trunks between the two.

You could also see if your Telco offers Centrex service at both locations.

If you use a gateway then the MICS will need E&M card(s) or a services cartridge to provide the DTMF receivers to route the call. Without the DTMF receivers the trunks can be auto answered but will not route and an alarm is generated.

To route calls to extensions a target line is assigned to each extension with the correct received digits assigned to the target line.

I have played with gateways in the lab but they not nearly as elegant as two BCMs with IP trunking.

Rob

The Quintum boxes will allow VoIP trunking between the sites, which will allow for 3 or 4 digit dialing.
You can also setup toll bypass too.

AFAIK, the Norstar VoIP Gateway is MD/EOL.

-SD-

Two BCMs with IP trunking does the customer need to purchase any addtl services from their current carrier, sip trunks? Or do they just need the IP trunks (H.323) and the MCDN key codes for this to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back