Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM-50 r5.0 and paging over SIP trunks - paging to a remote amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

smalltownguy

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2013
US
I have a group of four BCM-50 r.50 systems that are all networked together in a local LAN, allowing for local station dialing between remote locations. (for example, a user picks up their T7316e digital handset at site A and dials a 4 digit station number and another T7316e rings at a location at site B 50 miles away - the station call goes over a SIP Gateway trunk)

I would like to implement paging between locations. Ideally, a user in site A would pick up their digital handset, dial a 4 digit station extension, and the BCM at site B would pick up the call and send it directly to the paging system.

Speaking with a few techs, I'm told that may be achieved by using 1 of the analog stations at site B, and using something called a TANB-2.

Does anyone have any input on this? I'm willing to purchase whatever paging equipment I need to achieve this.

Our owners would like to be able to page over the speaker system at a remote location using a SIP trunk.

Thanks in advance!

So...
User site A dials SIP number (Speed Dial code)
Site B SIP target line rings at ATA
ATA wired to TANB-2
TANB-2 wired to Amp

Or just as the techs suggested since you already have a network.

Why would the Admirals want to add a SIP trunk to the mix?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

So what you could do is purchase a SNOM PA1 and set it up with a voip provider such as voip.ms.

You'd set the device up at site B and connect it to your amplifier and Ethernet.

Then through VOIP.MS or another SIP provider, you'd assign this SIP device a DID.

Then when site A dials the DID, Site B will answer and you can page through the SNOM PA1 which is connected to your amplifier. You can also manipulate both sites dialing patterns to dial just 4 digits to reach the DID or assign a button to it.

Do you have IP Phone capability on system B? If so, buy a 1110 or i2001 IP set (you don't want a full Handsfree set), open it up, splice the leads to the speaker on the set and connect it to an amplifier. You can also put the spliced phone in the page group of site B. That way you can page both the overhead speakers and phones at Site B if needed. You can also try this with a digital set, but the audio quality might not be as good as an IP set.

Is this a good start?

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

I DO have IP phone capability, but I don't believe an i2001 set will work. An 1100 would work however. I'm using several 1230's at most of the sites now.

If I were to use an 1100 IP phone, I don't understand how I could dial the extension of that phone and have it immediately answer the call. It could ring, sure, but how would I speak a page?

....because now its coffee break!
LOL

Good suggestion though Joe

How about this with no equipment, I have never tried this:
Requires an unused Trunk Port
-Trunk Port to Amp at Site B
-Site A - Dest code XYX to call site B ( but also told to dial Dest code of Trunk port)
-Caller dials XYZ

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

We call across voip trunks to an analog station that's connected to a Bogen UTI-1 at our remote office. The UTI-1 is connected to the loudspeaker paging system. Works good.

So tell me this, Are you trying to page both location simultaneously, so they will both hear the same paging announcement at the same time?

Here is the differences:
It's worth calling Bogen direct for this as they are very helpful in choosing what works for you.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Here is a very inexpensive method since you are only trying to broadcast.

-Get your hands on a remote worker license.
-Setup one remote IP Phone from Site A, at Site B
-Place Site B IP Phone in page group of Site A
-Open up the IP phone, simply cut the two speaker leads leading to the phone's speaker, and splice (can wrap in electrical tape) them together to an RCA cable or twisted pair, and connect to one of the inputs of the amplifier at Site B.
-When you dial Feature 611 or whatever zone you set up, the IP Phone will page over the remote IP "phones speaker" at Site B which is now connected to the amplifier.

BCM50 ---> voip trunk ---> BCM50 analog station ---> UTI-1 ---> 100w amp ---> 15w horn

Brad, what bcmfifty is saying is exactly what I told you when you called me about a week and a half ago........instead of the UTI-1, I suggested a TAMB2.

Both ways are cheap and easy!

Thanks bcmfiftyfan and telcodog. I will be using an analog station with the UTI-1 solution. Just need to get my analog stations activated at one of the locations and order some hardware.

I'll report back with results. Thanks!

-Open up the IP phone, simply cut the two speaker leads leading to the phone's speaker, and splice (can wrap in electrical tape) them together to an RCA cable or twisted pair, and connect to one of the inputs of the amplifier at Site B."

Joe, you're showing your age. [pipe] Thanks for a great old-school suggestion. I've done things like this many times over the years.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back