Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 echo with 7308 phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

matjohns

Technical User
Sep 8, 2009
US
I have a customer that we just installed a BCM50 bout a year ago now. They are complaining if echo on line for last 7 months or so. They have 8 pots lines from telco, and maybe 20 or so extensions. Have the main unit and one expansion module on system. We have checked all pots lines and tests good. We removed BCM and installed an old 8x24 for temp and echo was still there. So went back to BCM. We have now moved all lines to Godigital Carrier system on outside of building so its a digital signal from CO to building. Customer says still have echo issue. All wiring in building is new Cat 6 wire which terminates to patch panels with Panduit Mini-com Cat 6 jacks on both ends of cables. Digitals sets get cross connected from jacks with ethernet cables to a panduit voice patch panel back over to the cross connect to the BCM unit. Could it be the wiring, the patch panel or maybe the phones??? We have changed everything I can think of, but echo always comes back.

So these lines are converted back to analog then crossconnect to the BCM. Do these lines come VOIP to the building?That could be the issue have you taken your test set to see if you hear echo before the system?

Yeah they get converted at office to digital go over the carrier system to building. Then are converted back into the POTS lines, then cross connected directly to BCM. No VOIP service at all and no IP phones on system. Just plan telephone service and the 7308 and 7316 sets working on system.

Can make calls off butt set and sounds fine. I haven't ever had the echo issue happen to me. So its like I am searching for an issue that I can't even prove to myself is there. We ordered new phones this week and going to try them. The sets and wiring to each station is only stuff that hasn't been changed yet.

See if you can find some M series sets to try. I have noticed in a couple of installations that the microphones in T series sets are 'hotter' than the older M series.

Have you patched it with the latest I think there is an echo enhancement patch on the 3.0 core patch.

We check for updates and patches other day. And thought it had all the up to date patches. I will have to check agin to make sure.

Had echo problems with one carrier on a Bcm 50 and had to actually change carrier to resolve issue.Had an alternative carrier and they could not resolve levels on copper lines so we had to change to a carrier to have lines brought in digitally.

Nothing to do with the Nortel equipment from what you have posted so far since the 8X24 has same issue?.

Did you try setting your lines to use Long CO in programming??

Did the carrier install echo cancelling devices on the lines? most likely due to impedance mismatch maybe?.
Most echoing is caused by the carrier and not the system unless VoIP.
Have also put pair gains on the lines too perhaps.

Where did you try your test set? from the termination at the BCM? or point of entry to the building?
Try running a cable on the ground from point of entry to the BCM to see if somehow it is inside wiring.

Is it a rural site?

Outta ammo!

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

We have changed line setting from short to medium, to long. REbooted system after each change and still have issues. We just changed every phone on system this monday and customer still has echo. We are the telephone company also. Were on physical pairs to begin and have been changed to a digital carrier system. Same issue on both. Site is only 5,000 feet from Central office. I am headed out there today to try and figure out how to by-pass the panduit voice patch panel, thats only thing physical that I can change. So I am going to try and remove the patch panel and install a new 25 pair entrance cable from NID to BCM. I made test calls at the cross connect block for the BCM, where lines go into system. customer is only one to ever notice or have the echo issue, I have never heard it or had it happen on all my test calls. They are using a fly by night long distance company for their long distance and their 800 number. I am beginning to wonder if maybe not and issue on long distance side.

Look at my last sentennce,I am suggesting to run a temp 4 pair or something on the ground and away from any possible interference before going through the expense of 25 pair etc.

Maybe as a test take your last rolloevr line and feed it to some 500 set for a heavy user as a test too.

=----(((((((((()----=
curlycord

I was going to ask if they noticed if it was on certian calls then you mentioned the LD-800 service most of the time the echo is from on LD calls due to routing thru several CO's. I would try to pin point what calls are getting echo.

I have never had the echo, nor have I been able to recreate it to test. At first they stated it was only on incoming, then went to being on both. First was stated that customer on far end heard the echo, but now people have changed their minds and they hear the echo too. I patched around the panduit voice patch panel yesterday, as I have two other BCM, one in same town and one in another town and I have no troubles with them. Only differences are the patch panel and the Long distance company that the customers use.

If removing the patch panel from system doesn't fix issue, i will try the idea of adding some lenght to the dialtone lines coming into the building also. I am willing to try any ideas that anyone has.

If you are hearing echo then the lines are too hot.
If you are 5000 feet from the CO then try to reduce the gains in some other way. What about the 7208 phones? What release are they? Do some phones echo and some do not? If that is true then are the release numbers the same?

Also you could try the sandman... at least read his tech bulletins on echo

I would also recommend making sure all patches are up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back