Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 .. COME ON!!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

COMTECTECH

Technical User
Aug 2, 2005
OKay. I installed a bcm 50 2.0. Upon installaion notice static on line3 (line63) on system. The problem got worst so I just RMA the box and replaced it. Today took NEW box to same location ans still have the same problem. On both boxes you can break dial tone on line postion 2. Got out the multi meter out and the lines are at 51.2 volts. I dont think I got two bad boxes. Just wandering if any body has had this issue before.

Thanks
Tim

line 063 on a BCM 50 is line 3 for one if you checked the line from telco and it tested good for you then try to change it to position four with is line 064 and see what you get.

I have rolled the lines through the system. Line three 63 is bad. But two brand new boxes in a row.

Come on.

Tim

I have not had this before but there could have been a batch go through with a bad component in it. Is there anyway to check with your vendor to see the date of and where it was manufactured? Also ask if he has had any others complain. I have purchased a few phones from a lot that was bad and all had to be sent back.

yea i had the same thing we got 3 bad systems one right after another they have a release date that is bad. you need to get either a newer or older release. because the one that you have the lines wont break dial tone unless you have it to pulse.

Did you open a case with nortel? They say they have never had this problem with the R2

Need help. We have installed a number of BCM50's in the last 4 months - 6 locations have had issues with the phone sets sounding a ring tone on line appearance/button 3 of all sets. We do not know what is generating this mystery ring. It starts and stops when it wants. We thought it was defective RJ21x blocks or Red RJ31x modules. We by-passed that block - appeared to resolve issue. Site called next day and mystery ringing across line 3 returned. Site said ringing is in shorter duration but still happens.
Any suggestions or research direction would be helpful.

nstelco, check if your blocks have high resistance faults on them..... If your blocks have lowered loop current AFTER the blocks, that can trip ghost rings on any analog equipment (trunk/line imputs in this case). Take the reading on hook in series both befor and after the block. Loop current is a much bigger problem that most techs never even consider.....

Give 'er a shot!

Well I got another box. THis would be box 3. I also installed the box with the GATI protective cable. Still no good. I dont know. The only I can think is COX services.

Tim

Have you tried plugging line 1 into the line 3 port, does it work?

on nt site

If the loop length of the service to the customer location is less than 2 km, the installer can install
200 ohm, 2W current limiting resistors to tip and ring of each analog trunk as a preventative
measure before the system is installed. The BCM50 must then be configured for medium or long
loop length after the resistors are installed to compensate for the reduction in voice signal.
Installation of resistors is NOT recommended for all loop lengths. Use of current limiting devices
in loops that are longer than 2 km can cause other issues, such as echo. Nortel has not seen
any instance of damage when the loop is longer than 2 km.

HEy Guys,

I an update for this one. I finally got a senior engineer from cox to change the voltage of the lines from HIGH to LOW setting on their equipment and poof the problem went away. So thanks cox for taking 5 months to fix a simple flick of a switch.

Tim

Tim

What did you ask Cox to do? I'm experiencing the same issue wiht some lines not able to break dialtone. Would you please let me know what change and where was it made?

When someone tries to add their question/problem to another person's thread, it generally creates a little confusion for the original question. Please start your own thread for information/assistance instead of riding another's coat-tails. Thank you.

MIKE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back