Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50 Caller ID Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pccsipoffice

Technical User
Apr 17, 2012
US
I am working on a BCM50 I believe is a 3.0
After a change to a new Att service some phones no longer are displaying
caller ID. Testing with a caller ID box at the demark shows all lines have caller Id.
Programming shows lines assigned and caller id box has a check marked for the extensions in question.
The customer is stumped because it was working on the old pots lines.
Is there a line adjustment that can be made on the BCM?
Thanks

Two things to try out.

Use the BCM Monitor tool to watch the incoming analogue trunks. You should see any CLID in there.

Also confirm with your new supplier that CLID is being sent from the exchange as it's possible that they haven't enabled it.

If you have a analogue phone with a CLID display, then wire up one trunk to see if the same problem happens. Also reverse the polarity, although I don't think that will do anything.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Looks like just checking Monitor would help since you have already proved it works at Demarc.
Monitor would only say that BCM is understanding the CLID and that issue might be something else on the BCM.

Did you by chance go full Auto Attendant at the same time of conversion to new carrier?
Lines under AA settings must be set to at least 2 rings or more since CLID is sent between the first and second ring.
Also Service Modes (Night Ringing) will not display CLID since it answers right away.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

curly cord
thanks for the reply /there is not auto attendant in use.
I suspect the line level of the new service (sip to pots conversion)
is out of what is ideal for the BCM weird that some phones still receive
and others do not since it was all working before the change.
No problems with make or receive calls. A reboot may be the answer but I am
hesitant to do so because of its age. I dont have any backups and dont want to cause
another issue.

Then you should do a backup then reboot.
Go into Alarms and if nothing suspicious then I doubt Hard Drive issues.
Strange why no backups...plug in a USB stick and schedule them over night once a month.

I would watch monitor and test a wack of calls.
Also if they did not see the CLID (or on a transferred call) then try F811 to bring it back up to see if that works.

Also search for Caller ID issues with ATT and Model of SIP converter.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Don't risk a reboot without getting a full backup done first onto your own computer and perhaps a USB Stick. Also get a copy of the programming record. Please see the link below for a guide I did.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

I will get the backup and the programming record done.
Is it reliable on a remote modem connection to do the backup / record?
If it is, it could take a few hours to do the save.

No, as mentioned use a USB memory stick if you do not have Internet access.

Modem are mostly reliable, connections maybe not.
More like a day if you were thinking to back it up to your PC?
Use a modem in case you must get into programming when your normal methods are not available.
Just programming with EM has a huge delay.
Think back to the 80's how long it took for web pages to come up.

You can connect to the BCM with EM via:
-Public IP address if they have one
-VPN if given one
-Remote Desktop or alike if EM installed on a local PC
or go to site, slap in a stick and schedule as mentioned....15 minutes total.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

This site does not have a network connection to the BCM.
I will do a stick instead. They are due for a new UPS battery backup. Might as well do that also.
Thanks for the help on that. I will pick up a 16 gig. Is there formatting required?

Not all USB Sticks are compatible and they should be formatted to FAT32. It will be a case of trial and error.

You can schedule the BCM to do regular backups and I would advise you to set this up. If the BCM was plugged into the network, then you have other options such as a FTP Server.

Some of my customers have their backups done this way.

Firebird Scrambler

Website = linkedin

I agree with FB, wouldn't hurt to plug the BCM lan port (2nd one from the left) into their switch.
You can see what IP it takes on via IPSubSysetm or via Feature 9*0.
Under Admin/Utilities is where you can ping 8.8.8.8 (Google) to make sure it has Internet.

I would probably make that IP static under IPSubSyset/LanInterfaces.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

You can vastly improve the speed of the backup if you deselect CDR from the backup info.

Marv ccna

As Firebird wrote, it's trial and error with USB sticks, and FAT32. I recently plugged my APC UPS into my BCM50 via USB, but the UPS monitoring service wouldn't start. I found a document online that said you had to use a USB hub with the BCM50 to make this feature work. I plugged a spare hub I had into the BCM50, then plugged in the USB cable from the APC. The UPS service started right up.

My experience is that older and smaller capacity USB sticks are more likely to work.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

I appreciate the advice. Your advise should keep me out of the weeds.

Caller ID only works automatic is on a ringing phone between 1st and 2nd ring. On a non ringing phone with outside lines program to apert only you can program a button with FEATURE 811 then push this button before you answer you can see caller ID. Caller ID is not auto on non ringing phones but must have an appearance and ID turned on on the set in question

Programming indicated that liNE is apear and ring. Also had caller ID check marked.
We're good there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back