Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 50/BCM 400 Networking Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPOTech2008

Programmer
Feb 12, 2013
US
Hello everyone. I am not very adverse with the BCM line however I have been given the task of working on a few here recently. One of the tasks I am trying to complete is to add a BCM50a R5.0 to an existing BCM network. The main switch is a BCM 400 R4.0 and there are also about 4-5 other BCM's (various releases) connected on the network. Another BCM tech has told me that you cannot connect a R5 BCM50 to a R4 BCM 400. He said the BCM 50 release must be equal to or less than the release on the BCM 400. I am wondering if anyone can shed light on this for me. Will it work with the releases I have or not? If it will work is it something that is/was supported by Nortel/Avaya or just something that worked but was never really supported? Thanks all for your help!

The BCM'S are using VoIP Gateway Trunk licenses. H323 lines connecting them. The BCM'S are all on a point to point network which is working properly. I can ping the BCM 400 from the BCM 50 and even log into the 400 from the site where the 50 is going. The site where the 50 is going used to have a different 50 installed there which has been moved.

You can have different levels of BCM's networked. You need 1 MCDN license and IP Trunks/Gateway licenses 1 for each trunk. So if you want to have 6 calls at once in and out you need 6 licenses. Then there is the programming.

Thank you so much for your answer! I do have the MCDN license and 2 VoIP Gateway license's so I should be set. I have found another tech to assist in programming so hopefully all will go smoothly. Thanks again for the thorough answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back