Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 450

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechInter

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
CA
The BCM 450 should be released in few days or weeks ... Someone have the datasheet ?

I've seen pics. Has 4 slots like the 400 but everything to the left of the slots are different. Basic 450 allows 100 digital stations but if you add a card on the BFT it can handle 300 digital stations. No RAID on the first release.

I went on a brief 4 hour seminar but Nortel still has a Non-Disclosure agreement until general release in October.

Technical Documentation is available on Nortel website.
As for me, there is nothing new, except increased capacity.

--------------------------
I'm from Russia...

I've been informed (on the grapevine) that the 450 will incorporate wizards and templates again, eg: to assist in moving DN ranges, programming groups of users.
But, if there's an NDA on the 450, we will have to wait.

All the operational docs are now available online...

I attended a 1-day seminar at Nortel on the BCM 450. Looks like a cool switch. I would suggest going the the NT site to get all the particulars.

What stuck in my mind was that it uses the same MBMs as the BCM 200/400 plus a couple that will let connect existing Norstar expansion modules! Nortel wants to upgrade the existing base of small systems.

Nortel made several improvements on the platform more or less based on the BCM50 architecture. The MBM dip switches are less of an issue for one thing.

Some minor caveats are that you need a license for the expansion cabinet (like the BCM50). The expansion cabinet is the same, but the main cab is different from the BCM 200/400 and requires a forklift upgrade.

Also, there is NO database migration procedure in existence at this time from the BCM 200/ 400 or Norstar to the BCM450. It is a retype. There was a pretty elaborate process which explained how licenses from the 200 & 400 would be migrated to the 450.

These are no problems for new installations. Once Nortel has all the kinks worked out, this will be a winner. Probably doesn't make sense to sell a BCM 200 & 400 anymore..

I agree...the 400 will most likely become like the 1000...MD'd. Doesn't make sense to have both the 400 & 450. 200 should've been MD'd when the 50 came out.

How many resources are available on the BCM 450 ?

What I mean is, for example, the 400 works as a 6/2 or 5/3 split.

There are only resource limitations on the Expansion chassis.
The slots on the main unit are now numbered.
1 at the bottom and 4 at the top.
Each slot is a separate DS256.
The slots are pre-configured for specific MBM types, but they can be changed.
Supports up to 300 endpoints and 130 trunks with the Capacity Expansion Card installed.

-SD-

I have a small PDF file on the 450

It's only dialtone-VZ

SupportDude: R1 will support up to 300 but wait for future release...500.

Nortel has put alot of information on their the last week or so. Just go to the Tech documentation and do a search for BCM 450.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back