Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bcm 400 to 450

Status
Not open for further replies.

endlesswinter

IS-IT--Management
Mar 31, 2005
US
Is there, or is there plans of a migration/upgrade to take a 400 to 450? If so could you suply NT part number?

Yes there is an upgrade path from a 400 (must be 4.0) to a 450. Its a hardware and software upgrade. You should check out Nortel.com for the upgrade guide. Sorry...too tired to explain it in detail.

I'm not sure if that part number also includes the code for keycode migration. Make sure you have that also if your 400 has codes on it.

Please ensure you apply the latest system update to BCM 4.0 before running the DMM (Data Migration Manager) tool, to collect the data off the BCM 4.0. And then once upgraded the hardware, apply the latest system update to the 450 hardware BEFORE running DMM again to copy the data back onto the BCM.

If you don't, I guarantee you'll be reconfiguring a lot of your telephony.

Also when extracting the data off the BCM 4.0, remember to save the output as a .xcm file...refer to the DMM user guide, as well as just the upgrade guide.

I made the mistake of following just the upgrade guide, and not referring to the DMM guide, so the upgrade did not go well. I also raised a case into Avaya to have the upgrade guide updated to reflect missing things like apply the latest system update.

Finally anything that says it's optional in the DMM guide, read as recommended. For example, if you just collect the data off the 4.0, without saving it as a .xcm file, you won't be able to run the import of data back onto the BCM a 2nd time.

regards
paul

There is an upgrade from 4.0 to 6.0 out now. Same price as the 4.0 to 5.0.

if i remeber rightly, there is an issue with migrating from
BCM400 to BCM450 5. The seems to be a problem on KRS, once you upgrade to ver 5 and try to add additional modules at a later stage, the 400 will not accept the v5 key. BCM 400 still thinks your entering a 450 key. i am sure there is a post on this, so be carefull.

Just did one and alot of saved messages on CP got wiped....everything else was fine...

I've done a few and would recommend just programming from scratch. Everytime DMM would miss some of the data and callpilot was always a problem.

With this upgrade do you need to purchase a new bcm 450 box as well as the migration keycode?

No its a gut swap. You need the migration key and DMM to migrate the software side, the the internal components to swap out.

I agree with Khosher, DMM seems unreliable and no response yet from Avaya. for my previous thread.

If you do want to attempt a migration, I recommend you apply the latest system update to 4.0 before you collect the data, and also latest system update to 450 before you apply it. Even having applied Unified Messaging keycodes to the 4.0 and gone through LAN1, the mailbox messages are not carried over (albeit the mailbox greetings are).

I also recommend you do a gut swap using a spare chassis, not the customer's BCM. If you do need to correct configuration (which is highliy likely) a gut swap using the customers BCM will mean your configuration is sitting on a HDD in a cardboard box. Use a spare chassis, so you can just compare old 4.0 with the 450 (using the spare chassis).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back