Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM 400 Take HD and Put into a different BCM400 can it be done? Keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCoo

Technical User
Dec 29, 2022
US
BCM 400 Take HD and Put into a different BCM400 can it be done? Keys?

Ok Replacement BCM the one that has the good HD only has 9 mail box licenses the BCM with the bad HD has 60 VM license.
Where does the system get the S/N from. We have the Keys for it too.

Where does the system get the S/N from"
I am not sure what that means.

Keycodes with any Nortel system are bound to the system.
Once upon a time you could transfer them but not anymore

You will need to purchase new codes to add to your 9 that came with the replacement BCM.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Ok Tech's back at it again.
The BCM 400 that the HD has failed the phones are up.
This BCM has a PRI.
I have another BCM with good HD. No PRI
If I put the good drive in the one with a bad drive
can I reenter the Key Codes for the Dead HD On it that has the PRI Keys?
And if this will work just put in the HD and let it run for 20 minutes?
Thanks Techs!

In principle, yes. However both BCM systems need to be at the same software release.

You will also need a recent compatible backup and in my opinion and experience that the replacement HDD will need the latest patches installed first (assuming that the software release is 4.0 which was Linux based!) as the backup configuration file will corrupt the HDD if it gets installed with newer files from the backup.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

Thanks for your reply FS.

Keycodes are tied to the BCM board and not the hard drive.

When the system is running enter your codes then reboot the system.

Rule of thumb for restoring:
Make sure before you restore from a backup to load the same patches or greater that the old drive had.

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

For the patches Do not know if any were installed and there is no backup.
So I'm screwed.

If you have no backup, but have the keycode details where the system site ID matches the BCM motherboard as Curly has suggested, then you can licenced the BCM but it just means that a total reprogram will be required.

What you haven't said was the type of HDD that had failed?.

I've recovered a number of BCM systems over the years where the HDD had failed by checking to see if the disk has a separate circuit board attached.

This was common on Maxtor and Seagate drives. In my case, it was the circuit board that had failed and swapping it over fixed the HDD.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

My problem is I am in DC and the site is not. It is up near Canada.
Would have IT people swap it.
Thanks

Update: Took a HD out of a decommissioned BCM 400 did some testing with moving it to another decommissioned BCM 400 found that the programming stayed on the phones and the HD I put in had the AA and MB's from the other system. The keycodes were not there.
I was able to open a ticket with Avaya One Source and explain where I was calling from and it took a week or more but I was sent the
Key Code file for the SYS ID of the BCM 400 I put the HD in. After that I got my Mail Boxes back and was able to rebuild the AA and make Mail boxes.

Nope no maintenance. Just a high profile government agency.
With a civilian company we had to pay 1.500 for the keycode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back